need help ( 2 part question) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

View ronjboucher's Photo Album My Photos
need help ( 2 part question)

1. What, in your opinion would be the best grinding wheel for my 6 inch slow speed bench grinder. Most of my grinding is for bowl gouges.

2. On a other forum someone suggested using Min Wax ??????, one coat does the trick. For the love of, I cannot remember or find that information!

Any help on either or both questions would be appreciated
Thanks Ron Marietta Ga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
Look into Norton's 3X wheels. 80 or 120 grit will do the job. The bummer is that you have a 6" grinder, which in my opinion is too small to do a good job on turning tools. The disadvantage to a 6" wheel is that it creates too much hollow grind on the tool, which can cause issues. Hard to rub the bevel when the bevel has a very distinct curvature. An 8" grinder would be a good investment, and an even better investment is a good slow speed sharpening system like a Tormek with a 10" wheel. I use an 8" and it works fine. My 6" grinder only gets used for lawnmower blade sharpening!

As far as Minwax....That's a brand name but they have dozens and dozens of different finishing products. What are you finishing, what is it being used for, what is the desired finish look, etc.?
post #3 of 4 Old 07-22-2010, 02:49 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I have to politely disagree on the 6 inch grinder. I used one for many years and in fact still have that one. I now have an 8". I did a test one day to see the difference and there isn't enough difference in the hollow grind to matter at all. That part of the tool doesn't do anything anyway.
I switched for exactly the reason you stated on my thoughts were that you have a little thicker metal there because of the shallower hollow grind. That should make the tool vibrate less. I cannot feel it.
The only tool that I can actually see a difference is a thin skew with a really sharp 25 degree angle. Even then there isn't much difference.
You can buy wider wheels for the 8" grinders easier than for 6". there is a difference in surface speed between 6 and 8 of course but it really hasn't changed how I sharpen at all.
I have not tried the norton blue wheels yet. I did try another brand and saw no difference at all between that one and my white wheels except for price. I'll stick to the white for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-23-2010, 12:17 AM

View RickM1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjboucher View Post
1. What, in your opinion would be the best grinding wheel for my 6 inch slow speed bench grinder. Most of my grinding is for bowl gouges.

2. On a other forum someone suggested using Min Wax ??????, one coat does the trick. For the love of, I cannot remember or find that information!

Any help on either or both questions would be appreciated
Thanks Ron Marietta Ga

Possibly Minwax Antique Oil??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode