Need a Grinder - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

View snmhanson's Photo Album My Photos
Need a Grinder

I am in need of a grinder to sharpen my turning tools. I have read the threads that recommend the Woodcraft grinder and would be open to that one, but they are back ordered until late April. Any other good, reasonably priced options? I almost picked up a Ryobi grinder from Home Depot until I noticed that it spins at 3600 RPMs. It is imperative that a sharpening grinder be slow speed? Also, as far as using the sharpening jigs, does it matter whether it is a 6" or 8" grinder?

Thanks,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Actually according to the too designers 3600 RPM on a 6" grinder is an optimum speed for HSS turning tools. I prefer slower speeds because is simply feels safer. I have a very light tough so the faster speed probably would not remove any more metal.
I started with an Old Craftsman that was 3600 rpm with gray wheels. I don't recommend that although I did use it for many years. What is so good about the Woodcraft grinder is you get the good white wheels with it so in the long run it's even better.
I just did a short video on using disc sander for sharpening. it's going in an AAW online magazine as soon as it come out. I did that to show that there are very inexpensive alternatives to grinders to sharpen lathe tools if needed.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 PM

View pvechart's Photo Album My Photos
I read on another site where people are using belt sanders to sharpen tools. What I like about this is the bevel is always ground straight instead of the radius of the grinding wheel ground in. Sorby has a sharpening system like this but it's way out of my price range...I have the 8" grinder from Woodcraft with the Wolverine jigs from Oneway. Are you close to a Woodcraft store instead of buying off the website?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 PM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
I also have the 8" 2 speed grinder from Woodcraft with the Wolverine jigs from Oneway. with 80 and 120 git. before i got the grinder, i made a 8in spindle on a faceplate that i would glue 2in strips of 4 different gits sand paper to. I didnt have a lathe with reverse at that time so i turned tool rest to the other side and sharpen all tools form the back side before turning.. wow the old days...lol. but this may buy you some time to get grinder in stock..

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
post #5 of 9 Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM

Belt sander works fine. A flat bevel is not necessary. I find a concave bevel better because I sharpen sometimes using hand held diamond hones. It's easier to set the hone on the 2 high spots to sharpen. With a flat bevel you have to remove more metal to sharpen with the hones.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 PM

View pvechart's Photo Album My Photos
Good point John...that makes sence.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 AM

View Cliff's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post
I noticed that it spins at 3600 RPMs.
That's a bit fast for the wood shop where a very great many of your tools are not High Speed Steel. Have you considered just making one? I made a 10" dual wheel grinder from one of those worse than worthless Crapsman tube lathes. I just used the head stock and some all thread through the spindle to clamp the wheels on. I used the two face plates that came with it to mount the wheels. I think the grinding wheels cost me twice what I paid for the lathe used. Someday I'll find a use for the tube.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 AM

I agree with Cliff. I sort of depends on what all you are going to sharpen. I have a slow speed wet grinder I use for plane irons and tools that may not be High Speed Steel.
You can't hurt High Speed Steel with a grinder so speed doesn't matter on those. I prefer the 1725 rpm simply because it feels safer. In reality if a wheel exploded it would probably hurt you at 1725 just as much as 3450 it just feels safer.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 AM

View brown down's Photo Album My Photos
i bought the worksharp sharpening system. not designed to sharpen turning tools so i made a jig and have individual jigs for each one of my tools and it works great. when i am done sharpening with my system my edges are like mirrors!!!! just a thought

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode