My Signature Turning - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
My Signature Turning

This is one of my latest turnings,all dressed up and ready to go. I like this and from now on this is to be my signature turning. I posted other turnings that got dressed up also and posted them to my gallery. Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01549.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1486  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 PM

View Steve G.'s Photo Album My Photos
Very nice! I like the exotic wood texture!
post #3 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Steve
Thanks Steve for the reply, makes the work of making this turning worth while. Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 PM

View mackem's Photo Album My Photos
Mitch, it looks like glass to me ,very well done.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Mitch see you still going for the shellac, got to get you into some friction or melmine, nice shape see you starting to do a little more detailing, going over to my father inlaws sat, give him some more lessons, i get to play on his lathe, same as yours, going to have to get me one sometime. Have you ever tried and friction polishes or melemine anytime, you get to do it on the lathe and a lot quicker as well and i always thing a more natural finish, maybe just me, furniture yes but not much for it on turnings, but everyone to there own just kick me in the...well keep turning mitch. I would have been putting a turning on here tonight but just as i was about to part it off, my mate came into the shop as he cam in he shouted frit the hell out of me, the turning came off and took a long dive to the floor several chips and a nasty crack, was not pleased with my mate, my fault though i forgot to lock the door, which i do just because of that or me loosing fingers on a machine. whats the wood and does it have some spalter in it. cheers mitch, i take it that the misses has laid claim to the new turning. LB.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

little budha
Hi buddy got you this time. No shellac whatsoever on this turning. this finish is satin poly and a Beall buffing and polishing in between coats. It works polishing in between. Yes I have tried friction type polishes several times on pens and small turnings but no to melamine. Don't think I know what that is but will ask at Woodcraft. I don't remember if I told you why I use clear shellac or sanding sealer and varnish on most of my turnings or not. I turn wet wood almost exclusively and I don't want to get into dipping half finished turnings in alcohol etc then waiting to dry. I turn something and immmediately seal it , a lot of time right on the lathe. I have only gotten cracks a few times after a turning sat for a long time. I prefer finishing a job as soon as I can so I can move on to the next. You are right though I need to start with different finishes at some point. Shellac is something I spent years learning to do, French polishing. I like this type of finish so it is a little hard giving it up. I am sorry to hear that you had a turning spoiled. I had one go zap last week. Been waiting for you to post a turning, I know it will be a good one. My wife saw me take the picture of a few turnings and, yes she took them upstairs knowing I was finished with them and they were hers. Listen, my man, before I forget again, I want to ask you. Have you ever turned anything and then fluted it? I am looking for some plan for a fluting jig that can be used right on the lathe on vases. I have one that can be used on spindles or bed posts etc and used it for years. Do you know where I can find this kind of jig? Keep turning and see you next time. Mitch
post #7 of 15 Old 11-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Mitch my big shop day so just a quicky, fluting loads of dif methods and jigs going around, give you an idea go to Lamar this link starts with part 1... http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip39.htm

By the way there are 4 parts to that set of drawings so this takes you to all the tips you most like been there.
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/laymar_crafts-hints.htm
You can do it a little like when doing coping with a template, set a router or long flex drill up, router bits or burrs depends on what you wish to create, have the router set up so its at centre to your tailstock drive centre, you can make a template up to the shape of the turning, have a board on your lathe fix template to it and have a follower like in doing copy turning, not sure if you get that can do a rough drawing when i have time if you need it, but take a look at the site most like give you some ideas. LB..

Last edited by littlebuddha; 11-09-2007 at 09:25 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-09-2007, 11:04 AM

View jbksman's Photo Album My Photos
Mitch, it looks like you've been busy by looking at your gallery. I like the form on this one. Littlebuddha put you one to a great website for jigs and info. Good luck with the fluting jig and please remember to post pics of what you come up with.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-09-2007, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

jbksman
thanks, and I will do that. Mitch
post #10 of 15 Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

little buddha
Thanks , I figured you would come through for me.Going to save this so I can really get into it later on. I want to do the fluting. Mitch
post #11 of 15 Old 11-10-2007, 11:40 PM

View Kerux44's Photo Album My Photos
I love it. That is a gorgeous piece of wood and you turned it beautifully.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-11-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Kerux44
Thank you very much Kerux, the nice words are appreciated. Do you turn? If so, join us in shareing some pictures with us. Mitch
post #13 of 15 Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 PM

View Kerux44's Photo Album My Photos
Just starting to get into turning again. I'll post when I get something decent. LOL
post #14 of 15 Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Kerux OK I am going to hold you to that promise. If you turned it and are satisfied you did best you can, it's decent. Nobody starts out good, nobody. Mitch
post #15 of 15 Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I started out good but then I went downhill and have been slowly working my way back up. Seriously, if you like the pieces and did the best you can then we appreciate it. We've all been there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode