My Fluting Jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
My Fluting Jig

If the moderators feel it should be moved please do so. But I put this here because of the lathe tool. I finally got some shop time and built a fluting jig for my jet mini lathe for which I am going to primarily use for my pen blanks. I borrowed most of the ideas from John Lucas for whom I thank. The top can be taken off and expanded or change to fit other needs. But for what I want to do this will work great.

Any questions or comments are always welcomed.

Maybe some can use the idea or even expand on it for their lathe.

John T.
The Following User Says Thank You to JTTHECLOCKMAN For This Useful Post:
slicksqueegie (01-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 AM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Looks good John. So I take it the aluminum angle is a fence your router slides across on? Where did you get the index wheel setup for the lathe?

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #3 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Yes James the aluminum is the fence which the router base will ride against. I got the index wheel from these people. http://alisam.com/page/19r93/Woodwor...ng_System.html

Very nice wheel and easy set up. It should do what I am after. Need abit more shop time to give it a try. Never enough time in the day.

John T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
That is a neat setup for flutes, some good thinking.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 09:32 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Great idea.......let's see a couple of pics with the results

Learning more about tools everyday
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
very cool jig! Its on my to-do list!

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 11:41 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Nice Job. Can't wait to see the results of your first project with it. I'm planning another one shortly but have to finish the 3 jobs in the shop right now. Oh actually make that 5 but 3 of them should go quickly.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I am hopeful I can get enough time this week to get a pen or two done using this idea. I have so many ideas rolling around in my head it hurts. Time is the key element. 2 years to retirement can't come fast enough. I will keep you posted.

John T.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
The one problem I've run into with using smaller tools such as trim routers, dremels, flex shaft and air tools, is you might have to build taller jigs to hold them. When you start fluting or routing on larger turnings the Jig base can get in the way so you don't have anywhere to put your "fence" or pattern.
Using the bigger router like JT did helps with this problem because the base the router sits on is lower which lets you get under the larger pieces with your pattern.
When I have time I'm going to build a vertical jig to hold my power tools. Some cutters simply leave a better finish when cut in this direction. A good example is a V bit. It leaves the bottom of the groove torn and not very clean. It's because the surface speed of the center of the bit is very slow. If you take a 90 degree cutter that looks more like a T the outer edge of the V at the tip of the T is moving very quick and will leave a very clean cut. That's how the Ornamental lathe cutters work.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
The one problem I've run into with using smaller tools such as trim routers, dremels, flex shaft and air tools, is you might have to build taller jigs to hold them. When you start fluting or routing on larger turnings the Jig base can get in the way so you don't have anywhere to put your "fence" or pattern.
Using the bigger router like JT did helps with this problem because the base the router sits on is lower which lets you get under the larger pieces with your pattern.
When I have time I'm going to build a vertical jig to hold my power tools. Some cutters simply leave a better finish when cut in this direction. A good example is a V bit. It leaves the bottom of the groove torn and not very clean. It's because the surface speed of the center of the bit is very slow. If you take a 90 degree cutter that looks more like a T the outer edge of the V at the tip of the T is moving very quick and will leave a very clean cut. That's how the Ornamental lathe cutters work.

John

You are correct about the bit. I almost made a vertical mounted jig first because that will aid me in some endgrain cutting which I have planned to do. I mades this one first because I will not have to worry about tearout on such small cuts. I am going to have to do some experimenting with upcut spiral bits and down cut spiral bits and some flat fluted bits and see what is the best cut I can get. The pointed bit was mainly to line up centers on the blank with the center on the tailstock.

Now that I have the basic idea down I can make just about any style of top and just plain experiment. Opens up for me alot of different avenues in pen turning without breaking the bank on some sort of fancy mill. To be continued as they say.

John T.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode