My first pens - that I'm willing to show ;) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

View Kirkus's Photo Album My Photos
My first pens - that I'm willing to show ;)

OK, this is not as easy as it looks. For those of you here who turn the beautiful pens I've seen, I have a new found respect.

I've really been struggling with finding a finish that I'm happy with. I want the super glossy CA finish that I've seen around here. I've watched quite a number of YouTube videos to see how others apply their finishes. So far for me it's been hit and miss.

Admittedly, however, I've tried CA off the shelf from my local hardware store. Not CA that's marketed specifically for finishing. TightBond is too thin and cures too fast. It leaves ridges around the circumference of the pens. Gorilla CA glue is thicker with a longer cure time. This has worked better than the thin stuff, but it's what has been hit and miss.

I ordered some CA from PSI and we'll see how well I do with that.

Gakkuri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
Nice pens, I like the one on the far right best.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
The Following User Says Thank You to JMC'sLT30 For This Useful Post:
Kirkus (05-03-2011)
post #3 of 14 Old 05-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos

Go to this guy here,you not only get more for your money,but it is the best you can buy,and if I am not wrong,it's made in the USA,plus he is a super guy to work with.I have been using his CA,plus epoxy's and they work great.I just started pens about a month ago and except for the 1st 6 or so all I use is CA.If your getting streaks around it,you could be putting on to much at a time.I take a folded paper towel and hold it under the pen then put about 3 drops on the pen,and when I see that have the blank is wet,I do the other side,then step back a min,or you can use an accelerater to speed up the drying.sand with 800 then aplly another coat,you can do as many as you like,the more coats you apply,the deeper the gloss.then when I get the desired amount of coats,I wet sand with micro mesh up tp 12000 grit,then aplly a thin coat of carnuba wax Hope this helps. http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/

God Bless all
Ken Ward
The Following User Says Thank You to The woodsman For This Useful Post:
Kirkus (05-04-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos

OOPS I forgot to say,but those are beautifull pens.OH YES,I don't use CA on acrylics I just finish them to 12000 then wax an buff

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #5 of 14 Old 05-03-2011, 11:55 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Ok they look nice but how about saying what woods you used.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 01:26 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I must be one of the only pen turners that doesn't like the CA finish. The crap stings my eyes somethng fierce and stinks. I also don't like my pens feeling like plastic...they're wood after all I use a concoction of shellac/walnut oil and carnuba wax (sort of homemade shellawax), applying several coats. As the pen gets used the oils from your hand blend with the finish making it smoother and better feeling as it ages. Just my opinion. By the way, very nice first pens.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #7 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
Ok they look nice but how about saying what woods you used.
Yeah, my bad.

Cocobolo, Maple, Cocobolo, Purple Heart, Cocobolo, Cocobolo.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I've noticed that the Cocobolo pens, which were all made from pre-cut blanks from PSI accept the CA more evenly and produce a higher gloss than the Maple and Purple Heart. The Maple and Purple Heart was purchased from a local store that I buy from for larger projects.

These were all finished with a coat of boiled linseed oil followed by a coat of CA, then BLO, then CA. I did 3 coats of each like that (something I saw on YouTube). No sanding inbetween. Followed by a few coats of rubbing compound (my idea) then a few coats of Carnuba wax.

Gakkuri
post #8 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
I must be one of the only pen turners that doesn't like the CA finish. The crap stings my eyes somethng fierce and stinks. I also don't like my pens feeling like plastic...they're wood after all I use a concoction of shellac/walnut oil and carnuba wax (sort of homemade shellawax), applying several coats. As the pen gets used the oils from your hand blend with the finish making it smoother and better feeling as it ages. Just my opinion. By the way, very nice first pens.
I hear you about the eye-stinging and smell. It certainly can't be good breathing that stuff in. But I really like the glossy look.

Gakkuri
post #9 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
Yeah, my bad.

Cocobolo, Maple, Cocobolo, Purple Heart, Cocobolo, Cocobolo.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I've noticed that the Cocobolo pens, which were all made from pre-cut blanks from PSI accept the CA more evenly and produce a higher gloss than the Maple and Purple Heart. The Maple and Purple Heart was purchased from a local store that I buy from for larger projects.

These were all finished with a coat of boiled linseed oil followed by a coat of CA, then BLO, then CA. I did 3 coats of each like that (something I saw on YouTube). No sanding inbetween. Followed by a few coats of rubbing compound (my idea) then a few coats of Carnuba wax.
man that is 4 different looking Cocobolo's
post #10 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Nice pens! They do get easier as you go along! We do use CA but have learned that if you do two coats of CA and then polish with micro-mesh and stop you get the protection of the CA in that the oils from your hands won't discolor the wood and you still feel the wood and it has more of a satin finish.

Several coats of CA

Two coats polished after to a satin finish.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Mac For This Useful Post:
Kirkus (05-04-2011)
post #11 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
And why wouldn't you be willing to show these? They look awesome!! Great work. Thanks for sharing.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #12 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
man that is 4 different looking Cocobolo's
I know, right? The Cocobolo was a freebie for buying a bundle of 4 different kits. The blanks were all totally different from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
And why wouldn't you be willing to show these? They look awesome!! Great work. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Kenbo. These are the first that I was willing to show. There are about 7 or 8 before these that are being kept in a tightly sealed box in the attic.

Gakkuri
post #13 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 02:07 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
I know, right? The Cocobolo was a freebie for buying a bundle of 4 different kits. The blanks were all totally different from each other.
The one between the maple and the purpleheart looks a lot like the stuff I got as padauk ... and the one at the far left has more distinctive grain than the cocobolo I've turned. Kind of like wenge.

(Of course it could be that the people who sold me this stuff just gave it different names so I wouldn't feel I was buying a heap of the same stuff )

edit ... ooops, forgot: nice pens!

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #14 of 14 Old 05-13-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I've learned a bit since the pens posted above. As I just posted in a different thread, micromesh was the Holy Grail for me. What a freaking difference!

I really like the high-gloss finish (of course that's subject to change in the future ).

This is Olivewood sanded to 400 grit. Two coats of BLO. 5 coats of thin CA. Then I took it through 9 grits of micromesh 1500 - 12000. Finished off with a coat of Carnuba wax.

I'm going to try the 2 coats of CA like Mr Mac suggested.

Gakkuri

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode