my first inlay pens - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
my first inlay pens

My wife & I are scuba divers, so when I got the email from Woodturningz advertising a diver silhouetted on a dive flag as their "kit of the week" I simply had to go for it.

I built mine (top) with a gun-metal & chrome Sierra kit, my wife's (facing the opposite way because she's a lefty) is a chrome & black Mesa.

The only difference I can see between the two models is the style of the knurled band, it's just two different suppliers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3720.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	25719  

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Very cool

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 6 Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 AM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Those look like very nice kits. Great job. I haven't tried doing inlay yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 AM

View Guitar Maestro's Photo Album My Photos
I've always wanted to make my own pens. Does anyone have experience with this? I assumed you just bought the pen sections stock from somewhere, or perhaps bought a pen, took it apart, and replaced the mid section. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-22-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Maestro View Post
I've always wanted to make my own pens. Does anyone have experience with this? I assumed you just bought the pen sections stock from somewhere, or perhaps bought a pen, took it apart, and replaced the mid section. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
There are many pen turners posting on this forum -- browse the threads and you'll find loads.

Typically, you start with a lathe and a "pen mandrel" -- simply a steel rod with a clamping mechanism at the tailstock end. You'll need bushings to match the pen kit you want to make.

Pen kits (the mechanisms, nibs, clips and brass tubes into which the bits fit) are available from many vendors. Woodturningz.com and Penn State Industries are online, but if there's a Rockler or Woodcraft store nearby you can take a look at their stocks.

Take one or two pieces of wood, drill a hole through, glue a brass tube into the hole. When it's cured, mount on the mandrel between bushings, tighten it up, and turn away till the ends of the blanks are the same diameter as the bushings.

Apply the finish of your choice to the turned pieces, and assemble the components (you might need a press of some kind -- I use a wooden screw-clamp).

Voila -- you've made a pen.

Careful, it's highly addictive

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Moo-tivation

View VaureyWWC's Photo Album My Photos
Duncsuss that's a pretty awesome Pen! I haven't tried doing the inlays yet. None have grabbed my attention at this time.

Also Guitar Maestro,

I buy from Penn Industries (which I should now only make orders over the phone >_>)

Like the duncsuss says;

You start out with a lathe, you then buy the corrosponding Pen Mandrel for the lathe. Either a #1 or #2 (you need to see which fits your lathe)

Personally I use CA Glue for the finish, because it seems to me, it gives off a better sheen then a normal wax finish.

For the wood, I use scraps. Mainly because it's easier to obtain a 5" x 8" x 1/2" piece of Rosewood then it would be to purchase the lumber. You can also purchase "blanks" from the Hobby sites, I think you can even buy them off of Amazon, ebay, and Etsy.com as well?

Sharp tools, and the main machinery you would have in your shop is all you really need.

Here's a picture of my last pen; It's a Curly Maple with a Black Enamel Finish:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode