Mounting bowls - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Cabinet Maker

View hands made for wood's Photo Album My Photos
Mounting bowls

So I have a question: what method do you use to mount bowls I would love to hear about and how you mount, Thanks.

Hands made for wood

"While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Levi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
mounting a bowl blank

I mount it with a faceplate,then turn the shape I want the bowl to be.Then turn the foot,flip it around and do the inside.Then finish.Hope this helps.

Ken

Forgot to mention that I bring the tailstock up to the piece while turning it to shape.

Last edited by The woodsman; 08-12-2008 at 12:02 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I start 90 percent or more of my bowls between centers. I rough out the outside and then turn a tenon for the chuck. Before I had the chuck I turned the tenon to the exact size of the faceplate. Then I mount it in the chuck and return the outside if necessary. Then I turn the inside. Then I put a rubber sink stopper over the chuck and pull the tailstock up so it hits the original tailstock mark and turn the bottom which includes resizing the foot.
I like this method because I can shift the bowl if necessary after I do a little turning and get a look at how the wood is progressing. I can shift it to align the grain or get a rid of a defect.
On rare occasions I use a screw chuck in the open side of the bowl and then turn the complete outside down to a tenon. Pull it out and use the chuck to turn the inside. What I don't like about this method is if I don't get the grain aligned perfectly I can't shift the bowl.
Another method I use on rare occasions is to use a glue block. This is usually done when I have a special blank that is too shallow. Sometimes I'll use a large glue block and start it between centers so I can shift it slightly to get the most out of the piece. other times I'll just use a smaller block that will fit the chuck and start working on the piece.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode