Mounting Bottle Stopper Blanks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Mounting Bottle Stopper Blanks

A quick question not really about mounting the blanks.

Do you some how face the end of the blank, like you do for pens, prior to drilling and mounting on the threads?

If so could you just use a spade bit in a drill press to face the end and then come back with the "O" size or equivalent bit for the pilot hole?

Or do you drill, mount and then turn the face clean carefully while on the lathe?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 04:40 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I don' t use the screw type stoppers so I'm not sure how people do that. I use a homemade pin chuck. What I do put the blank on this chuck and leave a gap between my blank and the chuck that holds the pin chuck. Then I use a parting tool to clean up the bottom side before turning the rest of the piece. Sometimes I'll use the toe of the skew if I need the bottom to be really clean.
The Following User Says Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
djg (01-02-2012)
post #3 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM

View iclight0's Photo Album My Photos
I use a psi screw on chuck. I drill hole, then sometimes I tap the hole and sometimes I just thread it on. It depends on the wood. Then I.shape and finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

I do remember you saying that about your glue on type of stoppers. But thanks. Yes I have the screw on kind. And your bottle stopper video has been a big help to me on how to hold and present the tools.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclight0 View Post
I use a psi screw on chuck. I drill hole, then sometimes I tap the hole and sometimes I just thread it on. It depends on the wood. Then I.shape and finish.
But the WOOD Blank itself, you just cut to length on a chop saw or bench saw? No need to clean up that surface?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I use my miter saw to cut my stopper blanks. I have a really good blade on that sucker and it leaves a mirror smooth finish, so need to to true up anything. I also use the PSI mandrel and just screw it on.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
djg (01-02-2012), tcleve4911 (01-10-2012)
post #7 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I'm anything but efficient at preparing blanks of any kind but here's the method I've adopted. I start between centers just like I do bowls and HFs so I can see what's there and make a minor adjustment if needed. Then I cut a tenon and mount it in a scroll chuck. I drill with a Jacobs chuck in the tail stock and clean up the base before removing the blank and screwing in the mandrel. That being said, I like your spade bit idea:)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonanza35 For This Useful Post:
djg (01-02-2012)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
I kinda do things a little different. I cut my planks on the TS usually 2x2x4. I have a Nova chuck mounted on the lathe, so I just open the jaws and clamp down on the square (the 4 corners are between the jaws). Then I face the end along with cutting a small recess in it to except the stopper. This also leaves a witness mark as to where the center is. Then I reposition and turn the stopper. I'll cut a relief on the back side to alow me to finish turn the top or back side leaving a 1/4" dia. I'll sand and when satisfied I'll do the final part-off. I'll then go to the DP and drill the "O" size hole. Sometimes I'll thread it onto the stopper, and sometimes I've gone back to the lathe and turned a little more detail on the top or do a little more sanding.

"Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer, 'Am I worth dying for?'"

Eleanor Roosevelt
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBull For This Useful Post:
djg (01-02-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode