Motor direction - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 07-31-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

View GenezShop's Photo Album My Photos
Post Motor direction

A buddy of mine gave me his father's old Sears wood lathe, but the motor is turning the spindle away in a clockwise direction. I checked Google for proper setup thinking that I may need to turn it the other way, but I have it correct; how do I change the direction that the motor is turning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Swap the hot and neutral leads.

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

Last edited by slicksqueegie; 07-31-2011 at 03:48 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2011, 05:48 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenezShop View Post
A buddy of mine gave me his father's old Sears wood lathe, but the motor is turning the spindle away in a clockwise direction. I checked Google for proper setup thinking that I may need to turn it the other way, but I have it correct; how do I change the direction that the motor is turning?

It's possible that the motor has the option of direction. On the motor there my be a plate over the wiring connections with a layout for which poles are connected with what color wire for forward or reverse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

View GenezShop's Photo Album My Photos
Wiring

This is what I've tried so far:
1. Cut the ground pin to the wall socket, so that I could reverse polarity.
2. Took the plate off of the motor, reversed the connection from the switch box to the motor itself.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 AM

**duplicate post deleted**

Last edited by slicksqueegie; 08-01-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: was the same post
post #6 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
This is what I've tried so far:
1. Cut the ground pin to the wall socket, so that I could reverse polarity.
Did it work?

Quote:
2. Took the plate off of the motor, reversed the connection from the switch box to the motor itself.
did it work?

a pic may be helpfull.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
kind of depends if it is belt drive which it is ?? you can just mount the motor around instead of turning counter clock wise it would be turning clock wise. no need to try and reverse motor which probly not reveseable. That is the easest way to reverse rotation .
post #8 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 AM

View Longknife's Photo Album My Photos
It all depends of what kind of motor it is. If it's an universal motor the direction can not be changed. An induction motor could easily be changed, normally there is a wiring diagram under the lid on the connection box on the motor. If not all you have to do is to change the connection of the capacitor from one of the incoming leads to the other.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I have an old motor from my Dad that I mounted on my grinding table. If I pull the wheel to me it runs that way, if I push it away it runs that way. If you have a handwheel it may be worth it to pull to you sharply and quickly hit the switch. Probably wonít work but it may?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 11 Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 PM

View RetiredLE's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaladin View Post
I have an old motor from my Dad that I mounted on my grinding table. If I pull the wheel to me it runs that way, if I push it away it runs that way. If you have a handwheel it may be worth it to pull to you sharply and quickly hit the switch. Probably wonít work but it may?
I tried to send you a PM but kept getting an error message.

Couldn't help noticing your choice of log in name. I am a fan of Richard Boone's Have Gun Will Travel. Is that where you got it?

--
When you think about it, God has to be the best inventor of all time. He took a rib from Adam and made a loudspeaker.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 PM

View cornskier's Photo Album My Photos
Motor direction.

It depends totally on the motor type and if you can get at the start winding or if it is a brush type motor. If you can find the start winding leads, #5 & #8 or Red and Black, exchange them. That should start it in the opposite direction. If it is a brush type motor, then the leads to the brushes can be reversed and that should change the direction. If it is a DC motor, reverse the out put of the diodes. With the brush and diode options, the brushes will wear wrong because of the holder angle and the commutator rotation. Maybe a qualified professional electrician that specializes in motors can do better. I just try to do it the correct way.

Tags
direction, lathe, motor, turning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode