More Noob Questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

View jporter5333's Photo Album My Photos
Question More Noob Questions

I just bought a set of Sorby chisels. What can I use to clean the oil off them that won't cause them to rust? Also, do they need sharpening or honing before I use them? If so what do I use? I wonder because I think I feel a burr on the skew chisel and they are pretty expensive so I want to make sure I take proper care so they last as long as possible. And finally, I need a chuck. I have seen the Barracuda2 and it seems to be a pretty good deal, especially for what all comes with it. Or the economy chucks on PSI. I just wondered if any of you have had any experience with either of them and could offer any input. Money will probably force my hand on buying one of these chucks unless they are junk in which case I could buy a Nova but then I would have to do without any extra jaws for a while. That is unless my money making plan works. (put the wife up on ebay ) What? I need tools.

Jason Porter

Last edited by jporter5333; 01-02-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Most tools don't come sharp enough and need to be honed at least. Many of us change the shape of the grind to fit our needs as well. Most turners use a grinder, preferably with a white or pink wheel. These run cooler so you don't overheat the tool. If they are High Speed Steel overheating isn't really a problem. The gray wheels tend to clog up faster and just don't cut as well as the white wheels.
pretty much all of the wood turning chucks on the market are OK. some are better than others but all of them that I have used will work.
The metal working chucks that some companies sell as woodturning chucks aren't satisfactory. These usually have straight jaws instead of curved jaws.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 PM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Barracuda 2 chuck and think it is well worth what PSI wants. Been using it daily for the past month or so and haven't had a problem with it also I bought the jumbo jaws for reverse turning of bowls and they are great.

Lilty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 PM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
Somehow my post ended up in the wrong place anyway I have the Barracuda 2 chuck and I am completly satisified with it and the accessorys well worth the money.

Lilty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter5333 View Post
I just bought a set of Sorby chisels. What can I use to clean the oil off them that won't cause them to rust? Also, do they need sharpening or honing before I use them? If so what do I use? I wonder because I think I feel a burr on the skew chisel and they are pretty expensive so I want to make sure I take proper care so they last as long as possible. And finally, I need a chuck. I have seen the Barracuda2 and it seems to be a pretty good deal, especially for what all comes with it. Or the economy chucks on PSI. I just wondered if any of you have had any experience with either of them and could offer any input. Money will probably force my hand on buying one of these chucks unless they are junk in which case I could buy a Nova but then I would have to do without any extra jaws for a while. That is unless my money making plan works. (put the wife up on ebay ) What? I need tools.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
As John Lucas said, sharpen on a grinder. Preferably a slow speed (1750 rpm more or less) grinder, definately with a white wheel (not gray). Woodcraft sells one for $80-something, Lowes has an 8" Delta that's pretty nice for $129'ish. I recently started turning and got the one from Lowes and it is working well for me.

There are some pretty good videos on youtube that show how to sharpen lathe tools. Most folks use a jig. Since I spent my whole wad on the lathe, chuck, and tools, I'm freehand sharpening. It is working just fine and they're plenty sharp.

You'll want to get fast at sharpening and not spend crazy amounts of time on it. You'll be sharpening quite often, often more than once during a project. Taking half an hour to sharpen is impractical. I walk to the grinder and in 20 seconds I'm done and turning agian.

As for the oil, my Crown's didn't have oil on them when they came. I'm sure some WD40 would do just fine to clean them off and protect them.

I bought the Teknatool Nova II chuck on sale at Woodcraft for $149 (last week, may still be on sale). I can't speak about the others but it is working well for what I've used it for thus far.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
JP,
I have a barracuda setup for my smaller jet lathe. It works fine and is a good deal with all the jawsets that come with it. When I bought mine from Penn state, as a bonus they threw in a set of bowl jaws. I have a vicmark on my bigger jet. It is a very good chuck in my opinion, but also much more money. I haven't had any trouble with tools rusting. If you are concerned, get an aerosol can of 'tool guard'. It is similar to the 'top coat' spray. It coats the tool and evaporates in about ten seconds and leaves a slight haze. Wipe off the haze and you are ready to go. If you want to turn, you have to learn to sharpen. It is not that hard once you understand what you are trying to accomplish and how each tool cuts. Try and get together with someone who already knows how to do this. It is ten times easier to learn with somebody showing you first hand. Good luck,
Mike Hawkins
post #7 of 7 Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

View jporter5333's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks everyone. I feel better about the barracuda now. I wasn't sure if just honing was all the tools needed or what. I'll put them on the grinder as soon as I get my sharpening jig set up. Thanks again everyone.

Jason Porter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode