Mold on drying green turned bowl? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

View pvechart's Photo Album My Photos
Mold on drying green turned bowl?

Do green turned bowls ever get moldy while sitting in a paper bag drying? I have a 6" cherry bowl that I turned green then put it in a paper bag. After only a few days it looks like some mold may be on the sides. If this is normal is there anything to prevent it?

Thanks,

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 PM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if this is normal or not never had that problem. I use a wood sealer on the end grain and put in a paper bag with some of the turning chips and cut a vent hole in the top of the bag, date the bag and place in a cool dry and dark place for about 6 months.
The wood is wet so ther probably is some mold.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
They can mold in the paper bag. Usually I put rough turned bowls in bags if needed because I will turn away any mold later. I've heard of people putting dilluted bleach on the wood before putting it in the bag but I have not tried that.
You might try opening the bag every day for a few minutes to let some of the moisture out.

Mostly now I just coat the endgrain areas of the bowl and on cherry which I've had problems with, I coat the lip and foot. That's on rough turned pieces.
On green bowls that I turn to completion they are thin enough that I dont worry about cracks. I just put them up somewhere where there isn't much wind movement, like the corner of my shop and let them dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I have seen green tint/streak on cherry where sap & heart wood meet. Took it, as a bonus never thought it mold. Found out about chemical staining, which can be part of drying process.

Yes, mold will grow on wood while in paper or plastic bags. Putting shavings in the bag can accelerate mold growth. Normally mold will stop growing on wood when MC gets below 20-22 percent.

How to stop mold and staining of wood has no easy answer. Mold & staining caused by different fungi degrade value of wood, but does not always affect strength. Wood staining can exist in diseased or storm damage trees. Wood staining can start soon after trees felled and left laying on the ground. Mold & staining fungi not visible to naked eye can grow anytime during handling process if environmental conditions right. Sometimes turned away, sometimes not, there are chemicals added to lumber to prevent growth. I have posted pictures of turned projects staining not removed.

Some parts of the country more prone to growth of stain & mold. Some wood species more prone than others do for mold & staining.

Only way, know how to stop fungi growth conditions is take blanks out of bags and speed up drying process. Do not always add shavings.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I have been turning the bowls thin right away so I'll take John's advice and just put them in a corner to dry.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Moldy bowl update...I decided to sand and finish the cherry bowl yesturday since it was turned thin and was pretty dry just after a week. After looking closely at some of the spots that I thought were mold, it turns out that some of these were mineral stains that went all the way through the bowl sides. Some of the spots were mold but those sanded off right away.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Where's the pics?

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode