Moisture % question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-22-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
making all the things

View flutterbys's Photo Album My Photos
Moisture % question

I purchased some Ambrosia maple blanks with a moisture reading of 16-20% (according to the seller). I've read 7% is ideal for turning, and 30% is considered wet, so what is 16-20%?? Do I treat them as if they're wet and turn them, set them aside for 6 months, then true them up and finish them? I'm going to need them to be almost perfectly balanced (which is hard enough for Ambrosia maple). For my purposes, I can't afford any warping, so I'm pretty sure I know the answer here, but I really want to get this pretty stuff on the lathe, stat! I know I'm going to have to get myself a moisture meter, but at what point can I consider wood to be stable?? With a moisture reading of 20%, how long will it take to dry out a piece with no more than 1.5" of thickness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I am going to assume the blank is for a bowl or similar items and not for spindle orientation.
The ideal for turning is dependent on your area to a large degree. I would never be able to turn anything if I waited for them to drop to 7%. Not so in some parts of the country. Where I am in NC, I use anything below14% as good to go for finish turning but I try to go down to 13%. Wood equilibrium here is 11.4 – 13.8% month after month. I looked up Huntsville, AL and it is 12.7 – 14.5%, so stored outside it will probably never drop below the 12.7 whether six months or six years.
How long it will take it to dry out starting at 20% depends on your drying/sealing methods, air flow to it, and temperature.
You don’t state the diameter if it is a bowl; 1.5” thick may be over or under the general rule-of-thumb of 10%.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaladin For This Useful Post:
flutterbys (11-23-2011)
post #3 of 6 Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
making all the things

I was vague. I'm turning spindles. They need to be balanced and true because they are tools to spin yarn, and are spun like a top. Here's a picture of my last batch:
Most of my stock is labeled dry or wet. I've never been given a moisture percentage until now, and what I was given on the Ambrosia maple blanks was 16-20%. I just want to make sure I don't sell spindles which are true and balanced now, but later crack and warp because the moisture content is too high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
making all the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaladin View Post
I looked up Huntsville, AL and it is 12.7 – 14.5%, so stored outside it will probably never drop below the 12.7 whether six months or six years.
How long it will take it to dry out starting at 20% depends on your drying/sealing methods, air flow to it, and temperature.
You don’t state the diameter if it is a bowl; 1.5” thick may be over or under the general rule-of-thumb of 10%.
Thank you
post #5 of 6 Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Here is an EMC calculator to play with.
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/moisture.php

Temperature and humidity in my town from national weather service this morning is 68 degrees with 100 percent. In use EMC computes to 28.9%

Scroll down to ECM Chart by location for ballpark EMC.

Ran out to my shop and took a reading on 3” diameter Bradford pear turning blank MM 14.1%, 2” diameter bland read 12.0%. Temperature & Humidity in my shop is 70 degrees with 68% humidity on this rainy morning.

Bought this MM at Lowes when sold for $10 and it works for me.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_78059-56005-MMD4E_0__?productId=3136919&Ntt=moisture+meter&pl= 1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dmoisture%2Bmeter& facetInfo=

Actually, EMC Chart by location listing of 12.9% makes more sense than calculator.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildwood For This Useful Post:
flutterbys (11-23-2011)
post #6 of 6 Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
You won't have any problems with spindles that size being off balance from warping although if they are too wet they might crack. When I buy waxed wood from suppliers like BigMonkLumber I scrape the wax off the sides and leave it on the ends and put them up to dry.
I haven't had a moisture meter until just recently and had just purchases some wood from Pete. I measured everything and most of it was under 16%.
I have turned lots and lots of bottle stoppers from this wood even fresh from the store and never had a problem. I would think you could have more imbalance from woods that have uneven densities than from actually warping. I turn a fair number of spheres and they always will have a heavy side if you roll them they will always stop with the same side down. It doesn't seem to affect balance.
I'm in Tennessee and roughly 13% is the norm around here unless you move the wood into the house.
The Following User Says Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
flutterbys (11-23-2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode