Moisture Content - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

View WoodMarshall's Photo Album My Photos
Moisture Content

I've got a bunch of Cherry and Maple that came from a friends trees. I've turned some of it green to rough shape. My question is when is it considered dry enough for final turning??
Right now its at 15-17% according to one website that is the EMC for my area (Seattle). Does that mean its ok to finish turn it or do I need to do something else to get it to go lower?

My concern is for boxes - if I finish them so they have a good snap fit will they later swell/shrink and the fit is gone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not a turner. But most people I know turn green.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #3 of 5 Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodMarshall View Post
Right now its at 15-17% according to one website that is the EMC for my area (Seattle). Does that mean its ok to finish turn it or do I need to do something else to get it to go lower?

My concern is for boxes - if I finish them so they have a good snap fit will they later swell/shrink and the fit is gone?
AFAIK, it's "ready" when it stops changing, i.e. has reach equilibrium.

I use a digital scale to weigh the pieces each alternate week; when they don't change 3 weeks in a row, I reckon they stopped losing water and are (by definition) at equilibrium.

With boxes, you're concern is well founded. I'd wait to be sure they are done drying and warping before finish-turning them.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
With boxes I rough them out also and then put them up to dry. Boxes absolutely have be dry before final turning. Usually I cut wood into roughly box sizes and then seal the ends with wax. I let them sit on the shelf for quite a while.
If I need one sooner I rough them out and then dry them in the microwave until they quit losing weight. Then I let them sit in the shop for few days to pick up moisture. I also use the weighing method. When it stays the same weight for a day or more I know it's reached equilibrium and is ready to turn. Even then sometimes the lid moves after I bring it into the house. It helps to any reallysnug fitting lids out of wood that doesn't have as much movement and orient the grain properly.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
It may not make any difference but the humidity inside a house is often lower (mainly in winter and the house is heated). I think I would bring them inside a couple of days to acclimate and then do the finish turning.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode