microwaving wet wood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

View Blumax13's Photo Album My Photos
microwaving wet wood?

I was wondering if it is possible to microwave wet wood to dry it enough to turn it on the lathe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 11:48 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Yes it is. You want to do it in short intervals, maybe 45 seconds to a minute at a time. Let it cool off before nuking it again. The best way to know when it's is done is to weigh it before you start and check it through the process. When it quits losing weight it is done. Others with more experience will chime in if I have anything wrong.

Tim
post #3 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I have not tried drying bowl blanks. I rough my bowls first and then dry them in the microwave if needed. I have dried box blanks which are much smaller. It takes lots of time. a 3x3 box blank may take me the better part of a day. I run short cycles and let it cool. I do this each time I come into the house to go to the bathroom or eat lunch etc. It probably takes 15 to 20 cycles or more. I weight them. When they stop losing weight they are dry. Too dry. I have to let them sit for a day or so to pick up some weight and stabilize to the shop. If you don't on boxes the lids may not fit proper later. Bowls will also move but it usually doesn't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Old used up Marine

View okiebugg's Photo Album My Photos
microwave

Make sure when you use the microwave that you have an old one in your shop/garage to use when drying wood........even in a short time, your home MW can end up smelling like an old shoe and your wife kicking your rear end.

I speak from experience
post #5 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Not to mention that it is possible to catch the wood on fire. I've had one instance where there was a sap pocket inside the wood. It heated up and burned a hole in the side that steam came out of. I had another instance where I got a phone call and forgot about the wood and it burst into flame. Stay with it and monitor it. Baking soda will eventually get through the smell but it sure takes time. In the meantime you aint gettin no lovin from the pretty women until you get it fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode