Metal turning??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Metal turning???

Hello all

I have a question that involves turning of nonferrous metals. I have been making and turning pens where the blanks I make are made from acrylics and various metals such as aluminum, copper, and brass. I have shown some of those here before. I have been using both standard wood turning tools such as a skew and also carbide cutters in my Easy Wood Tool. The cutters are basically made for wood and acrylics. My question is those that turn metals what do you use??? Are there carbide cutters specific for turning metals??? If so what are they and why are they different. I know carbides come in many many different make-up materials and this is why I believe there is better cutters for me to use when working with these metals. Are cutters with chip breakers better???

If you have a source or a web site that explains in more detail as to what I can use, you can PM me or I am not sure if you can post it here. maybe there is a metal working forum that maybe of use. Now the carbide cutters I have been using have gotten the job done and maybe they are the best for what I do but i thought i would leave no stone unturned if there is something better.

Thanks in advance.

John T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2015, 01:35 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
TRy a google for a metal workers forum.
johnep
post #3 of 6 Old 01-13-2015, 03:54 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I use standard HSS wood turning tools in bevel rubbing cutting mode. You can sometimes scrape with them if your careful. The trick is to not force the tool. Let it do the cutting. If your getting curls instead of a kind of chipping then your cutting at the right speed. It seems very slow compared to wood but it works great.
I have tried various carbide tools. The EZ wood tools work sometimes but not as good as a freshly sharpened HSS scraper although the burr doesn't last long.
Hunter tools use a custom made carbide bit. The carbide in the hunter cutters is of Mike's own design but the cutter itself is the same shape as cutters designed for cutting aluminum. They do work but I think I get a better cut from my 1/2" Thompson Detail gouge so that's what I use.
Be aware that some non ferrous metals are either work hardened or possibly hardened by the factory and don't cut very good no matter what tool you use. On Brass and copper you heat the metal to red hot and quench it and it will anneal the metal so it cuts better. An yes I know this is the exact opposite of annealing iron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2015, 04:18 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
On my metal lathe I prefer HSS to carbide tipped tools when turning brass or copper. Brass will tend to pull the tool in so you want a negative rake or work below center. Drilling brass has the same problem so you need to take the edge of the drill bit tip with a stone, I have two sets of most bits, sharp for steel and dulled for brass.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 6 Old 01-13-2015, 07:49 PM

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
Carbide for turning various types of metals are harder and more brittle thus needing the rigidity of a metal working machine to expect any kind of tool life.
Carbide can even turn carbide ( cold forming dies ect), just like high speed steel can turn steel....different grades specs ect.
I've been metal working (manual and cnc) for ever it seems ........it's a living.
Oh ......what your doing sounds dangerous ...be careful.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2015, 09:51 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
"My question is those that turn metals what do you use??? Are there carbide cutters specific for turning metals??? If so what are they and why are they different. I know carbides come in many many different make-up materials and this is why I believe there is better cutters for me to use when working with these metals. Are cutters with chip breakers better???"

There are many suppliers of carbide and HSS tools, for cutting wood and metals.

If you are just starting out, learn how to make all your bits from scratch, using these videos.::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V9794QRgFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC07piF9Kr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3YpkCYKY00

There are many more videos out there.

Here are some mini 1/4" tools:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087R9OUA/...SIN=B0087R9OUA

Harrison, at your service!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode