Mesquite Art Festival and Hey Yall! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

View Horatio's Photo Album My Photos
Mesquite Art Festival and Hey Yall!

First off, rest assured I am not abandoning woodworking or turning, just trying to concentrate on grad school and preform well. When you take 14 years off, its a little daunting jumping back in with 9 hours of MBA work. Suffice to say, I've been studying HARD and it paid off tonight when I literally ACED my Statistic final! Didn't see that coming at all...

Anyhow, tomorrow my father in law and I are going to this:
http://www.texasmesquiteassn.org/fbgshow.html

It should be alot of fun. I was wondering if anyone else was headed out there.

Anyhow, I have not been completely idle....I took a study break a couple days ago and turned this:
Mesquite Art Festival and Hey Yall!-bowlo-001.jpg

Just a generic paste wax finish on it. I like the shape though.

I have a ton of wood out back so when the semester ends....if I'm not working like a fool to pay for this academic misadventure, I'll get some turning done. I have made some templates to cut segment pieces on the miter saw and just need to get the band saw lined out to get my wood to the proper dimensions to throw on there.

I also did a little thumbnail survey of the ranch and the wood available. Plenty of oak (meh) lots of mesquite and cedar and alot more of the Nogalito(Texas Walnut) than I originally thought. The way the creek flows (ie, mostly doesn't but pretty scary when it does) really causes it to grow funny. Big, bushy looking things with large, solid, woody trunks underneath.....so lots of good turning wood.

So...I will be busy....at some point....I have one more exam on Tuesday then will be able to slack off a little and turn some. So....stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Good for you horatio. What are you studying?
And that show looks like fun.
Have a good time.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #3 of 6 Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Good for you horatio. What are you studying?
And that show looks like fun.
Have a good time.
MBA. Taking Statistics/Economics, Management, and Finance this semester. 9 hours is a full load for grad school.

I'm enjoying it....went back to my alma mater Texas State, amazing how much the school has grown....34,000 student enrollment and new buildings everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horatio For This Useful Post:
Dominick (10-12-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 PM

View wendell white's Photo Album My Photos
very nice bowl....The TMA have two festivals each year...the spring one is held here in San Angelo...at the old Fort Concho...I've attended for the last couple of years...always have some really neat mesquite items...some of our local turners and craft maker sell at both shows....hope you have a fun and safe trip!!!!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

It was AWESOME! I was truly astounded and impressed by the level of craftsmanship and skill I saw but more important to me was how friendly everyone was. After it became clear I'm poor and not in the market to buy anything, I had a number of in depth conversations with far more skilled woodworkers who were more than willing to share their knowledge.

I really had a great talk with a nice senior lady minding the booth for her husband, who does killer work....very rough and gnarly but BIG live edge vessels and such and some larger bowls. Very inspiring experience.

There was one fella who was the segmenting 'technician'....album of pics of his work as well as his shop with his jigs and setups....his work was amazing, 1000+ piece vessels, some cool 3D scrollwork(done by his wife) and all kinds of great stuff. But really, the bulk of it was single species turnings, alot of mesquite but plenty of other as well. Just the size, consistent quality, inlays, filling/stabilization(alot of turquoise) and those type of techniques were really amazing.

I'm inspired.....
post #6 of 6 Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
You know the rule right?
No pics it didn't happen. Lol
So you didn't go to the show did you?

When it's rustic......it's rustic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode