Material list for pen turning - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Erik

View Viorato831's Photo Album My Photos
Material list for pen turning

What materials do I need to make a pen(bushings clips)? Also what do people mean by acrylics? Im New to this stuff so please forgive my ignorance:) I have order my lathe, chisels, grinder, mandrel, and next month I'll be ordering a pen press. As for wood staining and finishing I don't know what you guys use I hear some apply wax or even CA glue. Can someone please explain to me all the finishing process ? From sanding to applying wax or whatever. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Your best bet at this point is to watch a few youtube videos of pen turning. That will answer a lot of your questions.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viorato831 View Post
What materials do I need to make a pen(bushings clips)? Also what do people mean by acrylics? Im New to this stuff so please forgive my ignorance:) I have order my lathe, chisels, grinder, mandrel, and next month I'll be ordering a pen press. As for wood staining and finishing I don't know what you guys use I hear some apply wax or even CA glue. Can someone please explain to me all the finishing process ? From sanding to applying wax or whatever. Thanks in advance.

If I were you. I would start off with this 8pc 7mm pen sampler set or something like it. It has what you need to get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
Your best bet at this point is to watch a few youtube videos of pen turning. That will answer a lot of your questions.
That's a good idea also. I wish I would have thought about it.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown

That's a good idea also. I wish I would have thought about it.
Thanks for the link I think I'm going to order a kit
post #6 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM

View wmc1965's Photo Album My Photos
I agree, watch as many videos as you can, and don't be afraid to ask many questions. These guys here will save you a ton of time and money!!! I personally bought a starter kit from rocklers, it had the mandrel, bushings, tube cleaner, a couple blanks, and hardware kits. it ran about $65, but, if you bought that stuff seperately, it would add up to about the same price. Now I get stuff from woodturningz online, they seem reasonably priced, shipping is good as well. I finish with CA and a few pens with Hut friction polish. The CA is more durable, but I also like the look of the friction polish, more natural looking, it all depends on your personal taste...... GL with the turning

I measured it once, and I cut it twice, and it's still too short......
post #7 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
No Longer Here

Looking at it I don't think that kit has the Barrel trimmer. I like the one from Craft Supply better then others. I found the PSI barrel trimmer leaves a lip by the tube. So Anyway you will need one from where ever you want to get it.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Erik

Quote:
Looking at it I don't think that kit has the Barrel trimmer. I like the one from Craft Supply better then others. I found the PSI barrel trimmer leaves a lip by the tube. So Anyway you will need one from where ever you want to get it.
What are the parts needed for pens you mentioned barrel trimmer (I don't know what that is) so can you tell me all hardware needed .
post #9 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM
No Longer Here

As stated you will want to get a video which PSI sells or gives you. You can look on line or find someone close by at a local turning club maybe but that would be the best way to learn.

You need the Sampler kit which has all the pen parts, the bushings and wood blanks. You will need a 7mm drill bit and a barrel trimmer for 7mm pens. Considering you have a lathe, tools and the mandrel. The only other thing you need would be someone to show you what to do, a video in either DVD or on Youtube.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Erik

Quote:
As stated you will want to get a video which PSI sells or gives you. You can look on line or find someone close by at a local turning club maybe but that would be the best way to learn.

You need the Sampler kit which has all the pen parts, the bushings and wood blanks. You will need a 7mm drill bit and a barrel trimmer for 7mm pens. Considering you have a lathe, tools and the mandrel. The only other thing you need would be someone to show you what to do, a video in either DVD or on Youtube.
Thank you I appreciate your help.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
What are the parts needed for pens you mentioned barrel trimmer (I don't know what that is) so can you tell me all hardware needed .

The barrel trimmer cuts the end of each blank at a perfect 90*, so all the parts ends up flush with each other. Tons of videos out there explaining all the operations necessary.

Harrison, at your service!
post #12 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Can you tell us what other tools you have? You may not have to buy all the pen specific tools unless you really want to spend the money on them.

pen kits
pen blanks
bushings sets specific to the pen kits you wanna make
mandrel
drill bits specific to the pens kits you wanna make
pen press (I use a jig I made for a couple bucks and my drill press)
center drilling vice (I made my own for a couple bucks)
barrel trimmer (I just use my disk sander)
sandpaper ( I usually start around 150 or 180 and sand through every grit up to 400)
finishes (I like CA but everyone seems to like something different)
Micro Mesh or other polishing/buffing system

Another tip I'm not sure has been mentioned....buy your pen kits and bushings from the same place. Dont use Berea kits with PSI bushings for example. Use Berea bushings with Berea kits and so forth. They are not all created equal and the minor differances can show in your finished product. Also, your mandrel is going to require a 60* live center which wont come with your lathe or you can get a mandrel saver from PSI and use it instead. The mandrel saver will also eliminate the need for the nut and washer on the end of your mandrel.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!

Last edited by BassBlaster; 02-24-2012 at 11:27 PM.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
When I turn pens, I use the following items:

Lathe (Jet 1014 VSI. It's the perfect size for pens and other small items IMO)
Pen Mandril (I modified it and use it just as a drive and keep the first bushing centered since I turn between centers)
60 Degree Live Center (For the tailstock. It's what holds the second bushing. Modified mandril on one side and this on the other)
Drill Chuck (Because I use the lathe to drill the holes in the blanks)
4 Jaw Chuck (For holding the blanks while I drill them)
Pen Mill (For squaring up the blanks once I have the tubes glued in)
Sandpaper (I use a pack of about 5 different ones between 150 and 600 grit)
MicroMesh Sanding Pads (Or whatever you call them. Used to sand my CA finish)
Medium CA Glue (For gluing tubes into blanks and for finishing the pens)
Paper Towels (For applying the CA to the pens)
Drill Bits, Bushings, Pen Press, Pen Kits, Blanks... (Obviously)
Oh, and a miter saw for cutting the blanks. Not that you need a 10" compound miter saw for that, but I have it so I use it.

Hopefully this will help you.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 PM

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17820

Here is a link to check out they are calling the barrel trimmer a pen mill, it is included in the kit, noit a bad starter kit tho :)

post #15 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster
Can you tell us what other tools you have? You may not have to buy all the pen specific tools unless you really want to spend the money on them.

pen kits
pen blanks
mandrel
sandpaper ( I usually start around 150 or 180 and sand through every grit up to 400)

Another tip I'm not sure has been mentioned....buy your pen kits and bushings from the same place. Dont use Berea kits with PSI bushings for example. Use Berea bushings with Berea kits and so forth. They are not all created equal and the minor differances can show in your finished product. Also, your mandrel is going to require a 60* live center which wont come with your lathe or you can get a mandrel saver from PSI and use it instead. The mandrel saver will also eliminate the need for the nut and washer on the end of your mandrel.
I have small bandsaw, table saw, chop / miter saw, Drill press, router,pipe claps and basic hand tools . I bought the #1 MT pen turning mandrel (don't know the difference between #1 & #2) the 60 live center doesn't come with lathe you said? Psi has one for $16 is it any good?
post #16 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post

pen kits
pen blanks
mandrel

Great tip on using like kits with bushing kits, I found that out too, not all are compatable

The Following User Says Thank You to wmc1965 For This Useful Post:
Viorato831 (02-25-2012)
post #17 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I have small bandsaw, table saw, chop / miter saw, Drill press, router,pipe claps and basic hand tools . I bought the #1 MT pen turning mandrel (don't know the difference between #1 & #2) the 60 live center doesn't come with lathe you said? Psi has one for $16 is it any good?
I think I read in another post that your lathe is a Delta 46-460, correct? That lathe spindle is a #2 MT so that mandrel isnt going to work.

Your lathe will come with a live center but its probably not going to be a 60* live center. I reccomend getting one or a mandrel saver. I use the mandrel saver but I'm actually getting ready to buy the PSI 60* cone center for peppermill turning. It will come in handy too if you ever decide to do pen turning between centers.

You'll definately need the barrel trimmer/pen mill since you dont have a disk sander but if you need to save a few bucks, use your drill press as a pen press and make your own center drilling vice. I can post pics of mine if you need to see em.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BassBlaster For This Useful Post:
Viorato831 (02-25-2012)
post #18 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster
I think I read in another post that your lathe is a Delta 46-460, correct? That lathe spindle is a #2 MT so that mandrel isnt going to work.

Your lathe will come with a live center but its probably not going to be a 60* live center. I reccomend getting one or a mandrel saver. I use the mandrel saver but I'm actually getting ready to buy the PSI 60* cone center for peppermill turning. It will come in handy too if you ever decide to do pen turning between centers.

You'll definately need the barrel trimmer/pen mill since you dont have a disk sander but if you need to save a few bucks, use your drill press as a pen press and make your own center drilling vice. I can post pics of mine if you need to see em.
Oh man I have to order the #2 now .. So I need the barrel trimer and the 60* ? Is that it? If you can post the pics would b nice
post #19 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 01:20 AM
No Longer Here

Thanks Bassblaster and Itchytoe for good advise. I still think he needs to get with someone to help get started but that advice will help.

I can't believe we don't have a Pen Turning Tutorial on here. I'm going to check but I don't remember ever seeing one.
post #20 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 AM

I agree, if theres no one you can get with to learn, youtube is your friend. I dont have anyone to teach me but I watch a lot of videos. Yes Ive made mistakes along the way and thats why I'm yet to turn any of the high end pen kits. I'm almost there though!!

I'll snap a pic or two of my home made pen press and center drilling vice and post em for ya this afternoon when I get down to the shop.

As for the pen turning tutorial, I was going to do one myself but since I kinda do things a bit different, I passed. I guess different isnt bad so maybe I'll do one soon. Even if someone else posts one, I can at least show how to turn out nice pens without buying all the expensive pen specific tools. I'll be turning several orders next weekend so maybe I'll do one then.

Last edited by BassBlaster; 02-25-2012 at 09:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BassBlaster For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (02-25-2012), Viorato831 (02-25-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode