Marblewood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

View iziv@me.com's Photo Album My Photos
Marblewood

Does anybody has experience in finishing a bowl of marble wood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-18-2011, 10:38 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I've only ever used small pieces for stoppers. What do you need to know?

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 10 Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-18-2011, 07:04 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post

Just FYI, I have found that to be an unreliable resource. In percentage terms, they don't have too much wrong but you never know WHERE the mistakes are, so I don't trust it.

"Marblewood" as used by an American woodworker is almost certainly going to be either Zygia racemosa or Diospyros marmorata and I don't know how you tell them apart.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #5 of 10 Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Does anybody has experience in finishing a bowl of marble wood?
I can't tell you how to do it, but I can give you the encouragement of knowing that it CAN be done. There are 3 of them on my site.

I have a couple of small pieces I haven't worked yet, but it looks to me like the end grain will soak up a fair bit of finishing agent, but I don't know that it should be a problem.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-19-2011, 06:51 AM

View Big Mack's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a bowl I made a few weeks ago,with rosewood and marblewood.Its a very hard wood to turn (it was for me)The finish is o.k;Mack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMP_0006.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	32034  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMP_0001.NEF.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	32035  

post #7 of 10 Old 11-19-2011, 09:32 AM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
I have used Marblewood for several bottle stoppers and liked working with it.
These three are finished with CA/BLO and the one on the right is Marblewood.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mack View Post
Here is a bowl I made a few weeks ago,with rosewood and marblewood.Its a very hard wood to turn (it was for me)The finish is o.k;Mack
It always puzzles me when folks use the term "rosewood" as though it refers to a specific wood. What wood is it that you are talking about?

post #9 of 10 Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 PM

View Big Mack's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
It always puzzles me when folks use the term "rosewood" as though it refers to a specific wood. What wood is it that you are talking about?
Maybe this will help ease your mind.This is the product I bought from Woodcrafters,in Greenville S.C.if you stil have a question,contact them,Mack

Dalbergia nigra, commonly known as the Bahia Rosewood, Jacarandá da Bahia," Brazilian Rosewood," Rio Rosewood, Jacarandá De Brasil, Pianowood, Caviuna, or Obuina, is a species of legume in the Fabaceae family. It is found only in Brazil, from the eastern forests of Bahia to Rio de Janeiro. It is threatened by habitat loss, since most of its habitat has been converted to farmland. Due to its endangered status, it was CITES-listed on Nov. 6 1992 in Appendix I[1] (the most protected), and illegal to trade.
Dalbergia nigra produces a very hard and heavy wood, characteristically varied in colour from brick red through various shades of light chocolate brown to very dark violet brown with veins of black creating random lines and a highly prized figure called 'spider webbing' or 'landscape'. The odour of Brazilian rosewood is unmistakeable, having a floral fragrance reminiscent of roses with a distinctive sweetness and at its strongest in very colourful old growth wood. Another distinguishing feature is its outstanding resonance. When tapped it emits a bright metallic ring that sustains. This property combined with its beauty has made Brazilian rosewood a favourite of musical instrument makers for centuries.
The wood of this species has been much sought after since it was first introduced to the European and subsequently the world market hundreds of years ago. It was put to both utilitarian and decorative uses in its native Brazil including structural beams, flooring, wall lining and furniture. Outside its native country, Dalbergia nigra predominantly found favour in high grade furniture such as that produced during the Regency period of late 18th and early 19th centuries and more recently by Scandinavian makers under the 'Danish Modern' style. Various types of musical instruments, decorative woodware, knife handles and turnery have also made use of this species. Much of the most highly figured material was sliced into veneers which decorated items such as domestic and office furniture, wall panels, piano cases and it was also a favourite of marquetry artists.
Old growth Brazilian rosewood harvested before 1992 continues to be highly prized by makers of both classical and steel string guitars. It has been regarded as the premier wood for backs and sides of guitars and its use can be traced back to late Renaissance and Baroque times when it was used for making lute backs (ribs) and various other parts of other stringed musical instruments and also woodwind instruments such as flutes and recorders. Wood obtained from stumps left after previous harvesting of trunks decades ago is also being offered for sale. This material is often very colourful but not as stable or even grained as the wood available prior to the CITES embargo.[citation needed]

Last edited by Big Mack; 11-19-2011 at 08:02 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-19-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mack View Post
Maybe this will help ease your mind.This is the product I bought from Woodcrafters,in Greenville S.C.if you stil have a question,contact them,Mack

Dalbergia nigra,

Yep, that sure is one of the dozens of rosewoods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode