Making a dovetail for the supernova 2 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 07-31-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

View rchyde04's Photo Album My Photos
Question Making a dovetail for the supernova 2

How do I get the correct angle for expanding the sn2 into my bowls to hold for hollowing and is that the correct setup for coring with the bowl saver system? Thanks, r/Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
I used the tip of my skew and make a cut about the same angle as my skew.
After making the hollow with a square scraper I dig in and hold the face of the skew even with the bottom of the hollow until I get the undercut I need.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-31-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Gary, I have used the sn2 for clamping only so far and I just got the bowl saver system and want to make sure I have a good grab on my bowl when I core it. Appreciate your response. r/Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-01-2009, 09:48 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I don't use expansion when coring. I always grip a tenon. I suppose you could use expansion but you would really need a lot of wood on the outside.
I turn the outside of the large bowl between centers and then put a tenon on it. I grip the tenon and start coring.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
I was doing that too but then I read the little booklet that came with my Nova chuck and found out you get much more grip with the expansion mode than with compression. Experience seems to bear out this factoid pretty good. Another nice thing is the option of leaving the cutout in the bottom when finishing.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

I just tried expanding on some sycamore bowls, small ones, just to get the hang of it. Like Gary said, you get some great grip and your bottom is done when you switch over. I like it. I bought the mcnaughton combined system and emailed kelton ind. to see what size column comes standard. Kel himself emailed me back and said he didn't think my Craftsman 1hp was big enough to handle the combined system. I told him I would try it first with the in and out method and see if it works. If not I will trade someone for the micro and the small blades. Hope it works, got lots of wood needs turnin'. Thanks again for your input guys, this forum sure helps when you want to try something new. Someone here has probably done it once.r/Randy
post #7 of 9 Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Craftsman overrates all of their horsepower ratings. I have turned on the Craftsman and it turns more like 3/4. That being said you can core with that lathe but you'll have to take very light cuts. You should do that anyway to avoid catches.
You do get more grip for a spinning object with expansion but you can also easily split the wood. This is especially true when youuare putting a lot of force on the front edge of the bowl while coring.
I'm still new at coring with the McNaugton and I get some catches and have pulled the bowl loose in the chuck. I was able to re-seat it. I think If I was using expansion I would have cracked the bottom.
Let me know how you do on this.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-03-2009, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

John, Thanks for the info. I will let you know how it works as soon as I get it, as I am still anxiously awaiting the arrival of the system from snail mail. r/Randy
post #9 of 9 Old 08-03-2009, 11:21 AM

There are some really good tutorials on using the McNaughton system. I highly recommend looking them up. I think you can find them by doing a google search.
I am also ordering a CD from a guy who uses this tool a lot.
One thing I've found that helps is to lubricate the cutter and shaft. I have been using WD-40 but I'm going to try Johnsons paste wax on the next batch of bowls. It helps clear the shavings. You need to clear them often especially with a low horsepower machine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode