Making a bowl coring system - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

View rizaydog's Photo Album My Photos
Making a bowl coring system

I have been considering making a bowl coring system similar to the McNaughton tool. I have read several posts here that talk about making a similar system, but not a lot of detail. I would be interested in any thoughts or ideas on this subject if anyone would like to share. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-08-2011, 11:04 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
It depends on the tools you have available to make one. I already had the basic McNaughton system so I just made additional cutters with different arcs. That's not hard to do. Making the tool rest is a little harder and might require a metal lathe. I have been looking into possibly redesigning the tool rest but I need more experience using it so I don't reinvent the wheel.
I sent an article to Woodturning design on how to make the tools but I don't know if he will run that. It's kind of a specialized thing that not to many turners are interested in.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

John,

Thanks for your reply. I hope to see the article. I came across a video on youtube that might be of interest. It's noting like the Mcnaughton tool, but it is very nice. Take a look at it and let me know what you think:

It looks fairly easy to make if you can bend metal. It looks like both the cutting blade and the support underneath are the same ark. I think that they are simply 1/4's of a circle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 11:55 AM

that looks like a homemade version of the Oneway coring system. Oneway's is a little more beefy or heavy duty. The oneway system is very easy to use but quite expensive if you buy all the cutters.
all cutters are simply a part of a circle. some are large and maybe only 1/8th of the circle and the smaller ones are 1/4 or larger of the circle.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 01:03 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
I like the video -- but couldn't stop my attention wandering back to his bandaged left thumb ... stood out almost as much as this one

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #6 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. It is similar to the oneway. This one doesn't have the added tool rest and catches the core for you. Pretty slick.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 AM

My biggest problem on making one of those is bending the larger metal for the support. His isn't as large as the Oneway support and I may be able to do that. I have a pretty jury rigged bender that required a lot of hand strength or leverage so I'm limited in the thickness of metal and especially how wide it is. I also don't have a way to heat it so it's all cold bent. I do have welder which helps.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 06:52 AM

I just watched the video again. That's very doable with what I have. About the only downside I see is not being able to start the cut at an angle to change the shape of the bowl. That's one of the advantages of the McNaughton system. The disadvantage is the learning curve for the McNaughton. It's difficult to learn.
I think if you made the base adjustable to it will slide in relation to the lathe bed you could start the cut at an angle. This is for shallower bowls that are not necessarily half a circle like his are. I believe it could be done.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
I think if you made the base adjustable to it will slide in relation to the lathe bed you could start the cut at an angle. This is for shallower bowls that are not necessarily half a circle like his are. I believe it could be done.
I think you're right, John -- and it looks like one of the steps he did at the beginning was to slide the pivot column up to the face of the blank and lock it down. If he'd moved it back a few inches, it would have given an angled entry cut and removed a shallower piece like an orange cut off-center.

I couldn't tell if he repositioned the column between each coring - to continue cutting hemispheres, he'd have to move it closer to the headstock as the blank got smaller. It's possible he didn't, as the smaller bowls shown at the end appear to be shallower.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode