looking for a specific tool, don't know what it's called though - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
dvalery20's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Posts: 213
View dvalery20's Photo Album My Photos
looking for a specific tool, don't know what it's called though

Hey all, just like the title says, it's pretty specific though, I am looking for a turning tool, I need to use it for outboard lathing, but the tool is a chissel that follows some sort of a straight track, I make drums and trying to lathe the inside is pretty difficult.
Ideally something like a disk brake lathe cutter would be perfect but it would have to be for one side... anyways, if anyone has any idea at all please chime on in and let me know what to use, the drums I am turning are 13" and 14" diameter and between 4" to 9" in depth.

here is a video of someone using a similar tool

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
dvalery20 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baxter, Tennessee
Posts: 3,257
View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Well that is obviously a boring cutter mounted on a metal lathe. The problem with wood lathes is that you don't have a crossfeed table.
However, I've come up with an idea that I haven't had time to try out. You need to build or buy yourself a captured bar system. the Lyle Jamieson system is the one that I built.
Check out his home made tool section.
Anyway, this system holds the tool and prevents catches and makes hollowing very easy. You could just use the lazer guide and match the outside profile. What I was going to do to get some straight sided vessels was to put a stop pin on the tool rest and another one on the secondary captured tool rest. Then the bar could only go so far to the left before hitting the stop pins. This would allow you to guide the tool straight in at whatever angle you have set using the tool rest and captured tool rest stop pins.
I'd draw you a sketch but I don't know how to draw on the computer. If it really doesn't make sense I'll make a sketch on paper and scan it later tonight.
john lucas is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
dvalery20 (03-01-2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jig to set specific angles on your table or radial arm saw. Fred Rowe Tips, Tricks, & Homemade Jigs 11 06-28-2010 11:02 PM
What's It Called ?? RLHERRON General Woodworking Discussion 11 07-25-2009 10:14 PM
tips for specific wood types gojo General Woodworking Discussion 1 05-12-2008 10:38 PM
Specific blade? Rob General Woodworking Discussion 3 05-03-2007 12:55 PM
Are you brand specific? Big Dave General Woodworking Discussion 15 11-25-2006 11:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome