lol, Gross! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs down lol, Gross!

I've read a lot about turning since finding an interest in it nearly a month ago. I've read about turning green wood, and heard the warnings that it could be messy with sap, water, and just random goo. However, all of the things that I have read failed to mention the possibility that the log that I want to turn may still be inhabited.

I sliced a blank off of a fresh log that I found, mounted it, rounded it, chucked it, and started cutting away! Green wood sure is easier to turn than some old dried up oak. The first splat of goo that hit me in the neck was chuckleworthy - I was happy that I was turning some green wood, and having a great time. The second one that stuck to my shirt was still moving and concerned me a bit. So, I turned off the lathe and inspected my piece. Sure enough, there was a hole with something wriggling inside.... something that had lost its butt, that is. I pulled it out with some needle nose pliers, gagged a bit, and kept on turning. Overall, I pulled three bugs and one big fat larva out of my bowl before it was done.

I still don't know what kind of wood this is, but it's pretty, even with the bug holes in the middle.

I don't have any paper bags, so I wrapped it up in an old towel and put it away for a couple days. I suspect that it will warp and crack, but for my first green bowl, I think it's pretty snazzy. Even if it dries perfectly and I am able to sell it, I think that I will not tell the little old ladies at the church bazaar that the holes are where bugs used to live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-01-2009, 04:42 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I appears that you turned it endgrain from a log with the pith still in it. It will probably crack. The flat bottom with the pith and what appears to be a slightly thick bottom also add to the problem.
The Duck River woodturners aren't too far from you. If you can hook up with them you will learn a lot about green wood turning. They are in Columbia, Tn. I can probably find out more info given a day or so. I'll try to remember to look it up tonight.
Bill Grumbine's video on bowl turning is excellent and may answer many of your questions.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, there can be some bugs in green wood. If I find bugs it goes back in the burn pile. I've got plenty to choose from though.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Fighting the fight.....

View PTownSubbie's Photo Album My Photos
That is an awesome story Dano!!!

I think the little old ladies may like the story!!!

Good looking piece. I haven't seen wood quite that color before. Good looking spalting. At least I think that's what it is.....

Fred
post #5 of 9 Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

I thought you'd like that, Fred!

This bowl and another like it that I made today are now drying in paper bags. I didn't have any until just now (had to go to Kroger!) and had them wrapped up in towels. The one in this picture is already starting to separate at one of the dark lines. I'm quite sure the larger one will also crack.

These two were experiments. I read someone's site about turning green wood into bowls and his method was to go ahead and turn it and sand it to finished dimensions, then triple bag it for a few days until it is dry. Most other places say to rough it then bag it for several months. I'm not organized enough to put things away for months, so I tried the shorter method.

I did just slice a hunk off a log and turn it on the endgrain. While I was working the second bowl, I thought that it'd probably be better to cut the log down the middle and make some blanks from it that way. I'll try that next time.

Anyhoo, if these two bowls crack, I won't be too pithed about it.

Thanks for the tips, John! I'll look those guys up in TN.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Just looked up the Duck River Woodturners. contact Andy Woodard at awoodard49#bellsouth.net
post #7 of 9 Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

Thanks John. I found their website. Unfortunately for me, that's a two hour drive! :(

Though, I suppose if I went, it'd give me a chance to buy lotto tickets. :)
post #8 of 9 Old 04-05-2009, 06:52 PM

View David Drickhamer's Photo Album My Photos
Nice looking bowl, hope it doesn't warp and crack too much.
The wood looks like a piece of spalted birch my birch my grand daughter was working on a while back.
Dave
post #9 of 9 Old 04-05-2009, 09:10 PM

View ralphtaff's Photo Album My Photos
i DID A COUPKLE OF RUSSIAN OLIVE GREEN TURNED OVERSISED AND SOAKED IN DA(DENATURED ALCOHOL) FOR A WEEK THEN TAKE OUT AND LET AIR DRY FOR A WEEK. FINISHED REAL NICE. yOU HAVE TO KEEP THE ALCOHOL COVERED OR IT WILL EVAPORATE AWAY. A GALLON ICECEAM BUCKET WOOKS GOOD FOR BIGGER STUFF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode