Loads o Burls.. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 12-13-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

View kingcotrader's Photo Album My Photos
Loads o Burls..

So got into turning and this has been a great resource so im coming back with a few questions and perhaps an offer..

im a habitual clist surfer and in conjunction with my remodel business i do a lot of flipping with all kinds of random stuff... anyhow, came across what i can only describe as a ridiculous amount of figured and burl maple.. guy made a trade way back for jewelry and now had an urgent move out of state so he had to unload this material at what i think was a very good price... i have aquired what i would estimate at 1500lbs big leaf maple turning blanks. (maybe 600-800 pieces half figured half burl)
the best news (so i think) is that he bought this 5-6 yrs ago and it was wax sealed at the time so i am thinking that it should be dry and totally stable.. my questions are :
im obviously looking to flip most of it so:
..lots of the pen blanks im seeing out there are "stabilized"? is this a method to market greener wood or is air dried 5+ yrs equivalent? i dont want to mislead anybody... ( i have 300+ 5x5x2 burl blocks i was thinking about resawing into blanks)
..also any ideas on bd ft prices for burl/figured/spalted materials?
i realize it is impossible to be accurate without seeing first hand...

anyhow...i really appreciate this site and the input and i would like to offer up some material at a great price to help you guys out,, let me know what you are interested in and maybe i can help you out??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burllot.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	12232  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-13-2009, 05:19 AM

View jfs477's Photo Album My Photos
i believe that stabilized is more for a wood that is prone to splitting or checking rather than how green the wood is. as to the air drying how did they seal the wood? if they did it correctly only the end grain should be covered not the face grain because then it will dry slow and even with the grain sealed. if it is all covered it wont dry. a skilled turner i would think would have no problems with them. i know i'm interested!!

john

john
post #3 of 12 Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

hey john, hmm ok i was wondering about the "stabilization" process. most of the smaller to medium blanks are sealed on all sized, iim assuming it is anchorseal- they are identical to what i have bought from rockler/woodcraft in terms of the feel of the sealant. as a matter of fact supposed the original owner that milled and sealed all of this used to supply woodcraft. all of the larger or irregular pieces are end sealed only. i would think even the pieces sealed on all 4 sides would be dry enough after 5-6 years. any ideas on ballpark bd ft pricing?

john either pm or email me ([email protected]) and let me know what dimesions you are interested in. iv got from the size of a bottle stopper all the way up to 16+". i will sort through and let you know what i have.

Last edited by kingcotrader; 12-13-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 PM

View Apple Ridgerunner's Photo Album My Photos
Stabilized wood is infused with plastic under vacuum then heat and pressure. The wood needs to be dry. Check the blocks with a moisture meter, hopefuly they are still about 10% to 15% where alot of turners like them. If they are too dry they will be much harder to turn without spliting or breaking apart. Pen blanks are an alternative and so is stabilizing the blanks after the coating is removed.
Happy Holidays
post #5 of 12 Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM
"Drill" Sergeant

View lucas.j.dunton's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to lucas.j.dunton
stabilization is a process of impregnating the wood with a resin or polyurethane type substance. You can do small pieces with a vacuum pump but to do it probperly it is a very detailed process using special materials and specialized expensive equipment

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -Hunter S Thompson
post #6 of 12 Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 AM

View dickpiper's Photo Album My Photos
Burls

If you have some for sale I am interested. email me at [email protected]
post #7 of 12 Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcotrader
hey bob, no problem. 2x2x? . how long are you looking for? whats it for?- gun grips?...
when you get back to me i will run out there and pick through for you. i still only have about 1/3 of it unpacked.

sean
I turn game calls so I like the pieces to be at least 1 5/8 to 2" square, and at least 6" long. I could use blocks that I could section to make what I want.
Hey bob,
i have quite a bit at :
5x5x2 : 6.00
6x6x2 : 8.00
7x7x2 : 11.00

i am basically pricing this burl at @ 15 a BF for guys that contact me through wwtalk but locally and online i am looking for more like 25-30 a BF. stuck it with a moisture meter tonight- all in the 12-13% range. let me know how much you are looking for any maybe check usps to see what a ballpark shipping rate is. my zip is 98045.
let me know, sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burlcloseup.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	12309  

post #8 of 12 Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Those block look great let you know Monday ASAP.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-14-2009, 11:54 PM

View tlbrooks's Photo Album My Photos
I'm interested in a small quantity, mostly the burl. I live in Gig Harbor and I'm in the Seattle area frequentlty. Let me know if it could be picked up to avoid messing with the shipping.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 12:50 AM

View cain8885's Photo Album My Photos
interested as well

Also, interested. I am in the Seattle area. Are you ever over near the city?

Brian
post #11 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Mostly Spalted

View Weird Woody's Photo Album My Photos
Ditto here!
I too am interested. Im in Federal Way and would be willing to come to you
to avoid shipping. Im looking for a couple bowl blanks.

Why is it I can never find my pencil?
post #12 of 12 Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

hey guys, i will take care of everybody that has contacted me, but i think ill have to shut it down for a while after that. the response was 'ahem slightly greater than expected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode