Live and dead centers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-20-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

View Time Bandit's Photo Album My Photos
Live and dead centers

Hi,

New to the lathe craft. Purchased a new Jet JWL - 1442VSK. After putting it together, I noticed that the dead and live centers don't meet dead-on. The two points are about 1/16 to 1/8 apart. Will this be a big wobble factor when I start turning? If so, should I just shim it from the lathe bed? Do they make shims for this concern?

Thanks from a new guy

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
The should be dead on center. although it's not a problem for 90 percent of what we do on a lathe it should be corrected. If the headstock screws down check to see if it's adjustable. check for dirt under the headstock or tailstock. Either one will throw things. off
It could even be the centers. check that both morse tapers are clean and the shafts on the centers are clean. then insert them and check again. It could even be the center itself is off. You can tell a little bit by inserting each one in the headstock and turning the lathe on. the center point should not wobble. If it does suspect one of these as your problem.
the tailstock should slide without an front to back wobble. If it does you may be able to correct the problem by biasing the tailstock toward the front of the lathe before locking it down.
If non of this works let us know which way it's off, up and down or side to side.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I have Jet 1642 had same problem using Jet 4-prong center in headstock and Jet live center in tailstock. Used my old aftermarket live center in tailstock and no more problem. Removed black cone from Jet live center no problem with alignment.

I did spend lot of time with floor jack and adjusting leg levelers before light came on and swapped out live center. I did adjust and move headstock first.

Man over at IAP same lathe as mine told by Jet tech rep, bed can bow adjust to get alignment don’t worry about level. That worked for him.
If all else fails call tech support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

View Time Bandit's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do w/the advise. Might have to wait to after the holiday to get to this concern, but I will post my results here.

Thanks again,

Gary
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Shop Jester

View zacker's Photo Album My Photos
i never heard of this... did they somehow give you the wrong tailstock with your lathe? now i gotta go home and check mine...thanks alot....lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode