lighting for a lathe work area. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

View packer34's Photo Album My Photos
lighting for a lathe work area.

Trying to find some decent light for around my lathe. I have fluorescent lights hanging from the ceiling but it's not enough around my lathe. Looking for something to hang off my wall. Any suggestions?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 06:33 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I have flourescents above the bench then a desk lamp on an arm that can be moved around any where attached to the bench behind my lathe.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #3 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I use a magnetic based flexible shaft lamp that sits on the headstock of the lathe. Bought it at Rockler. Works great.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I purchased two of these and mounted to the wall. They have standard light/lamp threads. Two gives a 36" gooseneck and I mounted a small diameter outdoor spot light from HD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-Arm-for...item3cc3805359
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe Light 002.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	40944  

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaladin
I purchased two of these and mounted to the wall. They have standard light/lamp threads. Two gives a 36" gooseneck and I mounted a small diameter outdoor spot light from HD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-Arm-for...item3cc3805359
That looks really slick. Is it strong enough to support itself and the light or do you have it braced toward the end?
post #6 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a big fan of the Moffet lights. I don't remember who sells them now, possible Craft Supplies or Woodcraft. I have 3, 2 mounted on the lathe at all times and the 3rd one travels with my mini lathe. I put the 45watt CFL's in them although I prefer the 100 incandescent. I just thought I'd try the CFL's because they aren't as hot. I don't like the warm up time but I'm getting used to it.
What I do have to do is rig up a better way to hold both the lights and my Dust collector.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
This is just a clamp-on fluorescent desk lamp....works great.

Learning more about tools everyday
post #8 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
That looks really slick. Is it strong enough to support itself and the light or do you have it braced toward the end?
Yes it will support a small light but that is what I wanted. The light is 100 watt outdoor accent spot, about $10 at HD. It may not support the big 6" diameter fixtures but this one is about 1.5" diameter. It provides plenty of light from 3 or 4 feet away (like while working on the inside of a bowl or enclosed form). For finish work I can bring it down parallel with the work to check for scratches or other flaws. For general turning I just use the normal overhead lights. Being mounted on the wall I can push it out of the way when not needed.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 PM

View fixer's Photo Album My Photos
I've got 2 like this

plus 2 floresents 1 behind the lathe and 1 overhead
these 2 are mounted on the wall behind the lathe
post #10 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 PM

View pvechart's Photo Album My Photos
I read on another discussion board that the incandescent lights are better at showing scratches while sanding because they show the scratches shadow better than fluorescent lights. Right now I have just fluorescents but will try the incandescent lights.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 01:15 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvechart
I read on another discussion board that the incandescent lights are better at showing scratches while sanding because they show the scratches shadow better than fluorescent lights. Right now I have just fluorescents but will try the incandescent lights.
I just bought an led lamp and it throws a hard shadow too, just FYI.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 10:30 AM

I like the one that Fixer shows also. I have one at my radial arm and one at my grinder table. Most come with a bracket to mount to the wall and the head will also swivel 360. I haven't checked but I am sure the light fixture is standard so it could be replaced will a small sealed unit (no dust collecting on a hot bulb).
Should be able to push it back against the wall or bring the arm down to spindle height for parallel light.

post #13 of 14 Old 03-18-2012, 04:24 AM

View MGP Roofing's Photo Album My Photos
I have a lamp similar to Fixer's one. My new shop will have a mix of incandescent and fluorescent lights, plus it has a 1.5 by 3m skylight, and plenty of windows, so I won't need much artificial light during the day. That will be a 300% improvement on my current setup which has 1 incandescent ceiling light, and the lamp by the lathe, and 1 tiny window. The sunny side of my current shop is the concrete fire wall between our garage and the neighbours' garage!
post #14 of 14 Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 PM
dmh

View dmh's Photo Album My Photos
I was at the woodworking show and at the Craft Supply USA booth they had a light mounted on a Tool Mule setup. I played with it a little bit and was surprised at how small and bright it was. My wife asked if they had any and they told her no, the lights themselves came from Ikea.

Looking at the Ikea site it is either this one or this one that they removed the base from and mounted it to the Tool Mule bracket.

Needless to say the next time I'm near an Ikea I will be picking up one or two.

Mark
only 84 more to go...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode