Lathe Tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Lathe Tools

When I got my lathe, I went and purchased a cheap set of tools. I think it has 8 tools in it. I will eventually replace the ones I use with higher quality tools once I get this sharpening thing down.

My question today is about hollowing. My set came with a couple spindle guoges, a detail gouge, a couple of scews, a parting tool and a couple scrapers. It didnt come with anything for bowls and end grain hollowing and I'd like to start messing around with some lidded boxes and small bowls. I think I have narrowed it down to Sorby tools but which ones would you reccomend for small bowls and such?

Also, I dont have a roughing guoge. What size do most of you prefer? Ive been using my 1" (largest I have) spindle gouge and my home made easy wood tool for roughing.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
A link to the set you have may help. I assume the 1 spindle gouge you have is a spindle roughing gouge.
One thing to remember is that Sorby bowl gouges (and others made in the UK) the size is by the flute; in the US it is by the diameter of the shaft. So a 3/8 Sorby is the same size as a 1/2 US, likewise a1/2 Sorby = 5/8 US. The size variation does not occur in spindle gouges, only bowl gouges.
Packard Woodwork carries their own brand made by Hamlet (UK) as well as Sorby and several other brands.
For bowls, I would suggest either a 3/8 or 1/2 bowl gouge. A 3/8 in UK or a 1/2 in US. should serve you well.
Im sure other will have more/better suggestions.
I'm still using my Sorby's purchased in the 80's.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Check out woodturnerscatalog.com. Their Artisan tool line are good tools for beginners. Henry Taylor tools are nice as well. And when your ready, step up to a Doug Thompson gouge, you won't regret it.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a 3/4 or 1" spindle gouge that works great as a rough out gouge. You don't really need a rough out gouge per se. They are handy of you do a lot of spindle especially larger ones for a spindle gouge works just fine.
I would consider purchasing a 1/2" bowl gouge. The [email protected] gouges are fairly inexpensive and do a good job.
I may have missed it but a parting tool is a good tool to have. You can check out my videos on youtube to better understand how to use some of the tools. I have plans for many more so subscribe to my youtube account and it will alert you when I have made another one. Here is the one on the roughing gouge. If you just type in john60lucas in the youtube box it will bring up all of them
post #5 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the replies guys.

John, I am a subscriber to your youtube channel. I do have a parting tool. Its a flat sided 1/4" tool. I'm actually gonna go to the thrift store and pick up a couple knives and make some others. I picked out what I thought was an old knife out of the kitchen drawer and told the wife I was gonna make a lathe tool out of it and she flipped a lid on me, lol.

I suppose for now, I'll just add a bowl gouge to the arsenal. Thanks for the help guys. Its greatly appreciated!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode