Lathe Stand - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
Lathe Stand

I just have a mini-lathe, but needed something the correct height for me to use, so after doing the research on what would work for the correct height I built the following. I allowed enough extra room to hold my small bandsaw and my bench grinder. Wheels on the bottom make it easy to set out of the way if I need the room. I also included a picture of my recent turnings, mainly bottle stoppers requested by friends and co-workers. Starting on the left is oak, then a laminate of maple and purpleheart I made, then Bubinga, Cocobolo, and another laminate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe1.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	20416  

Name:	lathe2.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	20417  

Name:	stoppers.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	20418  

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glidden For This Useful Post:
Wood85 (04-06-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
That's the way to do it. Make it safe, comfortable....and SOLID.

Harrison, at your service!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I have a similar setup and have been happy with it but am still struggling with the perfect height. I learned a valuable lesson yesterday about placement of the table. Windows give really good working light (backlight) but an 8" Beal buffer spinning at 1800 rpm a couple inches over the lathe deck looks a lot like a baseball pitching machine. Turns out it's a pretty effective one at that! I'll be installing a new window in my shop today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
Nice bench, and very nice bottle stoppers. The first lathe I had was an old Craftsman lathe. I built my own bench to mount it on. I thought I was happy with the height, until I did some turning on my uncles lathe. I decided that I had the bench too tall. I took some measurements on my uncles lathe and came home built a new bench to mount the lathe to. I found that having it too high did not allow me the control I really needed to have. I have since inherited my uncles lathe and no longer use the old Craftsman.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I tried to build all the utility I needed into this one stand, mainly centered around the lathe. The melamine top helps for cleanup, and I've run all the power cords though the top so that I don't have cords everywhere as well. I found this height is good for me turning, as well as being able to easily change speeds.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 AM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
Good stuff!
Table is well done, well planned, and way too neat!
I like the bottle-stoppers, what finish..?

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
What height (in relation to your body) should the turning center be? I'm about to build a long work bench that will hold some other tools too. I'm guessing elbow high is about right for most tools so I'll drop the bench down a foot from there. Any thoughts?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

txpaulie, I typically do 2 to 3 coats with a friction polish, then 2 coats with a minwax wipe on poly for that extra protection. None of my stoppers so far have seen a lot of handling or use since I just started doing this at the beginning of January, but it seems to be a pretty standard finish from what I've gathered on the board here.

bonanza35, mine is right around elbow height which is pretty comfortable for me, but it puts the bandsaw a little bit high, and the bench ginder a little bit low, but of the 3 tools I'm on the lathe 95% of the time so the other two aren't as important to me, at least not right now.

I still need to build a rack for tools that swings out from the bench when in use, but can be locked against the bench when not in use or when I need to move the bench. One thing I'm really glad I added was the small shelf underneath the lathe to hold faceplates, drive centers, chucks, allen wrenches, whatever else I may want or need close at hand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode