lathe recommendation needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

View kjhart0133's Photo Album My Photos
lathe recommendation needed

Hello all,

I just got a bit of a windfall from my former employer and I'm looking to blow it on a new lathe. The best deal I've seen so far is a Jet JWL-1442 on Amazon for $1189 with $0 shipping. My primary use for this lathe will be making legs for tables, chairs, coffee tables, etc. I don't know anything about bowls or pens and may get into some of that in the future, but I'm chiefly looking at turning leg stock up to 32-36 inches in length.

My questions then are: 1) is this lathe any good? 2) would you recommend something else in this price range? 3) might there be something a little cheaper out there that is suitable for turning legs? 4) are there any other pitfalls or caveats I should be considering based on my intended use?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Kevin H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM

View busterswoodshop's Photo Album My Photos
I have that same lathe and it works just fine. Some come with steel legs and some with cast iron legs. I would recommend the cast iron leg set.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
That is the best lathe out there for that money. Jump on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
I've looked at this lathe also, however the lowest rpm's are in the 400 range.Also it has the Reeves drive on it (which I've never used) . Some on this forum have said to stay away from the Reeves drive and I'm not sure why? Perhaps if anyone reads this they can give us the pro's and con's on having a lathe with the Reeves drive and this lathe in general.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2012, 07:57 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
I don't own one myself but the Reeves drive will increase in speed over time I guess due to the belt wearing and the low end speed increases to around 600 rpm. I guess that is what I have read in different reviews. If you read one of the reviews on Amazon one buyer wanted it for the same reason you state and later regretted it because he now wanted to turn bowls.

Last edited by Bob Willing; 03-10-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode