Lathe reccomendation - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

View Forrest's Photo Album My Photos
Lathe reccomendation

Hi Ya'll,
About 20 years ago with a home made lathe, I made glued up bowls, chess sets and briar pipes. I haven't done any turning since the grand kids, but would like to start again and need a reccomendation as to what to look for when I go lathe shopping. Also where are a couple of good places to start my search.
Thanks any suggestions.
Forrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Lathe recomendation

Hi Forrest,1st how much money do you want to spend .I have three lathes,one is the Nova 1624 It has rev an a swivel head w/a 16" swing 1 1/2Hp 999.99 My 1st lathe was and I still have is a Ricon mini with a 12" swing 329.00 and The other one is just a little after market that I got for a good price,but good for little bitty stuff !00.00 with a grinder on Craigs list These 1st two are great lathes and I love em both,but If you want to get into the BIG stuff there are to many to mention PM One way,Robust to name a few,but then your looking at 2000.00 and up.Jet has many great models on the market and they are also great folks to deal with.You can go to woodcraft and just pull up lathes and get all the specs on Jet's the Ricon an the PM.
Good luck
Ken
post #3 of 4 Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 AM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
Hmmm a lot depends on what you want to turn as well, ie pens, spindles or bowls.

I am from down under but you have a good variety of lathes from the el cheapos [$150 or so] all the way up to $5,000+. Google is your friend

Bearing mind these days the price of the lathe often works out to be the smallest cost in the long run.

I have three lathes, one is of the Grizzly type and the other two I have built myself, some what purpose built for what I like to turn. Which is bowls, vases and hollow vessels.

hughie

post #4 of 4 Old 09-25-2008, 02:55 PM

View Nancy Laird's Photo Album My Photos
[quote=hughie;44636]
Bearing mind these days the price of the lathe often works out to be the smallest cost in the long run. [quote]

You said a mouthful, Hughie!!

Forrest, it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to start small, I'd highly recommend the Steel City mini VS. Very versatile, and you can turn small bowls, up to about 4-3/4" or long pieces up to about 14". I have one and I LOVE it. If you're in the market for something larger, Steel City introduced a granite-bed lathe at the IWF in August. According to LOML, it's a real honey of a lathe---and of course, Steel City is becoming famous for building very good machines!!

Nancy and Dave Laird
D&N Specialties
Rio Rancho, NM
David works in the Pro Sales Divison at Woodworker's Supply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode