lathe motor options? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

View camanobass's Photo Album My Photos
lathe motor options?

I've acquired a free 1941 Delta model 955 9" x 48" in very good condition, but it needs a motor, it came with a 1/3 hp washing machine motor but it is shot. The home made stand is set up for direct belt drive with 4 belt positions on the headstock and 4 on the bad motor pulley.

As a novice to turning and just learning what motors and HP should I consider. Since I have nothing invested so far would it be worth some kind of variable speed motor, or just stick with the 4 pulley positions?

Thanks,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 PM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
Stick with the 4 position pulley and find a 1/2 HP motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lilty For This Useful Post:
camanobass (04-08-2012)
post #3 of 4 Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Ideally I'd look for a 1725rpm 3/4hp motor. YOu can get 1/2hp DC variable speed motor and controller from Penn State Ind but I haven't heard good results from it. Other variable speed motors are quite a bit more expensive. Many people including myself turned for years with step pulleys.
The Following User Says Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
camanobass (04-09-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-09-2012, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

View camanobass's Photo Album My Photos
a new question

I found an old motor I had that works and I fit it to the lathe but it turns the wrong direction for the headstock on the left side. This motor is not reversible, but if I stand on the other side of the lathe so my headstock is to the right it rotates correctly. I've done some experimental first turning with some scrap softwood and I don't seem to see the advantage or disadvantage to which side the headstock is but I'm sure there is one.

Every picture and video I've seen the headstock is on the operators left. What are the reasons for a left sided headstock? I was thinking I could start learning with the right end headstock while I score a better, more powerful motor that turns correctly.

Anxious to start turning,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode