lathe faceplate - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

View birdcarver's Photo Album My Photos
lathe faceplate

I am very new to woodturning and I was wondering what type of screws do you guys use in fastening wood to a faceplate? I would think hatdened steel for sure. but what length and phillips head, square head or some other. I know this is kind of a dumb question i guess but I dont want to be wearing a chunk of wood in my forehead!!
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
BC,
Not a dumb question at all. I use outdoor deck screws. Don't use drywall screws, too brittle. I predrill holes in the wood and fasten with the screws. They are philips drive. The size of the blank determines how many screws I use. The depth is dependent somewhat on the depth of your blank. Most often I am using 1 5/8" long screws.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 11 Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks Mike for the quick reply. I never thought of deck screws, I got some on hand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Lathe faceplate

That is really a very smart question to ask,as you don't want to have a blank breaking loose,due to cheap screws.I use masonry screws for the most part with the hex head.I have very little problems with them stripping out like the phillips head did with me.Like Mike,I predrill in hardwoods,but not in soft woods.Good luck and be safe and if you have any questions,there are a lot of good folks here that will try and help you out.

PS whats do they call ya?

God Bless all
Ken Ward

Last edited by The woodsman; 11-04-2009 at 09:09 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-04-2009, 11:53 PM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
I use the combo square philips from Mcfeely.

Lilty
post #6 of 11 Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 AM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
Great question....The only dumb question is the one not asked. agree with mike.

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
post #7 of 11 Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I use sheet metal screws with a square drive head. I also drill more hole in my faceplates for more screws. Many faceplates on have 4 screws. That's not enough to be safe on many projects.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-05-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for all the help and information on this. Ken, most people call me "Tom" , but also known as "the birdcarver" as I have carved songbirds, and decorative duck decoys. I have always wanted a wood lathe and bought a king-seeley/craftsman built in 1951 from craigslist. The lathe is in very good shape and bearings great shape. even has the 18" cast extension. I wanted a lathe to be able to turn the bases for my carvings instead of having to buy them. thanks again for all the help
Tom
post #9 of 11 Old 11-05-2009, 03:12 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
John, I'm curious why you think four screws isn't enough to be safe on come projects? Four screws is generally considered very safe and far more than necessary in most cases... Are you referring to something larger where the screws are still very close together on the faceplate or something different?
post #10 of 11 Old 11-05-2009, 04:35 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I turned with nothing but faceplates for many years before I ever got a chuck. I've had pieces come off the lathe using just 4 screws. This is especially true when going into end grain. Of course I wasn't as good a turner back then and it could have been me.
I've been to many turning demos and most of the guys recommend using more than 4 screws. Some even recommend drilling and putting dowels in for the screws to bit into on endgrain turnings.
Another good tip I got years ago. Counter sink the wood side of the holes in your faceplate. The screws want to pull the fibers out a little bit and the wood may not sit as firmly on the faceplate as it should. Counter sinking the holes a little bit lets the fibers go into that space and the screws pull the wood down tighter.
All in all it's really just a safety factor and is such an easy thing to do to drill more holes in the faceplate.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks, John. I appreciate the answer. I just got a chuck and bought a faceplate a little while ago, but I still haven't used either, really. I'm hoping to start (well continue, actually) a baby rattle as a gift for some friends this weekend. I've got the handle roughed out but not down to the right size. My plan was to put that in a chuck and turn the actual rattle portion. We'll see if I can do what I have in mind though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode