Lathe Dust Hood - Long - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-03-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Lathe Dust Hood - Joe Friday version

Here’s my third try at a lathe dust hood.

It uses a register boot which holds a floor register and a connector which goes between a downspout and 4” underground drain line. The 45* on the back isn't necessary but I like it.
Hardware cloth is to keep bits of sandpaper from being sucked in.

Post type is another option, my first was PVC pipe with a 90* elbow. I found 1” steel tubing in my scrap bin and cut/welded it but PVC pipe works fine.

The square section of the drain connector is cut off. This will leave a tube with a heavy flange at the rear. Cut or turn a hole in your wood for the drain tube to slip through. With the drain tube through the hole, cover with hardware cloth and install the back connector.

The horizontal blocks at the rear of the head are optional; tee nut are on the inside of the blocks. This allows rotating the head in any position around the arm. On the PVC pipe I used to start with I just drilled holes for the screws and screwed it on.
The jig vertical post section can be rotated in the banjo (same as the tool rest for turning the inside of a bowl).
You can also mount the entire jig from the bottom of your banjo if it works better that way for you.

A couple of minutes with the tin snips and the rectangular boot was oval. Apply psa velcro to register boot as you wish.
You can have an oval head, rectangular head, or no head. They all lock in any rotation position and slip on/off easily.

Cut a plastic file folder (or other material) any shape you wish and apply psa backed velcro. I also made a “choker”. A section of small rod goes the length of the opening. A short piece of Velcro in the center is enough to keep ithe choker in place, vacuum does the rest. Any time you wish to use it you can choke off the intake from one side. For example when sanding a bowl interior or platter only the working side is open allowing maximum suction rather than also pulling air from the back side of the item.

Make a wood banjo unless you are going to use the lathe banjo. Most of the time I will use the lathe banjo. There are cases with soft wood when I will want to use the lathe banjo and tool rest to support a drill for very light sanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dust Collector 001.jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	32802  

Name:	Dust Collector 002.jpg
Views:	5219
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	32803  

Name:	Dust Collector 004.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	32804  

Name:	Dust Collector 005.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	32805  

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by NCPaladin; 12-04-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-03-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Additional Picutres

Additional Pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dust Collector 012.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	32809  

Attached Images

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 5 Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I wasted my money on a Shop Fox dust hood with adjustable stand thinking it would not get in way of tool rest and wood mounted on lathe. Found removing the yellow dust hood and using a magnet to hold pipe to ways simple and effective when sanding or turning dry or spalted wood. Do not worry about wet wood or collecting shavings.

My $4.00 HF magnet will hold 4” flex line anywhere needed along the ways or tool rest without getting sucked up into DC. My fancy adjustable Shop Fox Collector more of a P.I.T.A.

Don't over think it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I've been using one of those Penn State cheap ass plastic ones for years. I guess it worked because I'm still using it but I cuss it almost everytime. The hose keeps flopping off and I broke the swiveling top collector very shorty after getting it. The whole thing has been glued up several times after it cracked.
I think it's time to do what you just did. thanks for posting.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for that post, NC.
I like the idea of the choker
great setup

...and you gave me a very cool idea with the banjo
I'm going to see if I can use my broken banjo scrap and modify a holder to work like your setup

I LOVE this forum!!!!
thank you....

Learning more about tools everyday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode