Lathe Chuck - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 12-29-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Lathe Chuck

I have a 1/2 hp mini lathe and would like to buy a chuck for it. I read that I shouldnt put a full size chuck on my lathe. Ive narrowed it down to 2 choices and would like some opinions. Both are currently the same price so that point is irrelivent. I'm looking at the Barracuda Micro Chuck and the Nova Midi Chuck. I understand the Micro is a little more limited as to what it will hold but dont really know the limitations of the Midi. Or am I completely wrong and these are the same size chucks just from different manufacturers?

As for my projects, I havnt tried anything beyond pens yet. Looking to try some bottle stoppers and maybe a small bowl in the 4 to 6" range. Which is the better choice for what I'm looking to do? Thanks guys.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC500.html

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...-Jaw-Sets.aspx

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!

Last edited by BassBlaster; 12-29-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-29-2011, 10:05 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
For bottle stoppers you can get a mandrel that screws right onto your spindle. PSI has them, as do others. I personally like Oneway Talon chucks, but that's me.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 AM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
I have a 1/2 hp mini lathe and would like to buy a chuck for it. I read that I shouldnt put a full size chuck on my lathe. Ive narrowed it down to 2 choices and would like some opinions. Both are currently the same price so that point is irrelivent. I'm looking at the Barracuda Micro Chuck and the Nova Midi Chuck. I understand the Micro is a little more limited as to what it will hold but dont really know the limitations of the Midi. Or am I completely wrong and these are the same size chucks just from different manufacturers?

As for my projects, I havnt tried anything beyond pens yet. Looking to try some bottle stoppers and maybe a small bowl in the 4 to 6" range. Which is the better choice for what I'm looking to do? Thanks guys.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC500.html

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...-Jaw-Sets.aspx

I have both of the chucks that you are considering and will give a thumbs up to both. I feel that the Nova midi is a little better made but not to big for your lathe. I bought my Nova midi when I first started turning on a Jet 1014 and it served me well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
I bought this Nova G3 at Woodcraft for my small lathe and it works great.
I like the chuck key feature vs the Tommy Bars

Learning more about tools everyday
post #5 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
I bought this Nova G3 at Woodcraft for my small lathe and it works great.
I like the chuck key feature vs the Tommy Bars

I like this type of chuck. It's just like my Talon Oneway. The "Key" feature is a big plus.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM

View Clouseau's Photo Album My Photos
One of the magazines just did a comparison. Tommy bars require three hands or two hands plus the tail stock. I wouldn't be afraid to use a little larger chuck.
Dan Coleman

St. Louis, MO
post #7 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I have had both tommy bar and key operated chucks and like both for different reasons. Tommy bar chuck less expensive lighter and thinner than key chucks which makes them ideal for use on mini lathes. Key chucks have wider bodies and reduce distance between centers, that could be a problem on some mini lathes unless remove tailstock.

I use both hands mounting a blank in a chuck and many times bring tailstock up to assist in alignment before final tightening. Technically only use one hand to tighten chuck whether tommy bars or key chuck.

Had a no name chuck with tommy bars that was ideal for my Jet mini, used my Talon on 12” x 36” lathe, now on my 1642. Talon chuck worked okay on the mini, but preferred no-name. Gave that no name chuck to guy that bought my mini lathe.

Follow chuck manufacturer recommendations for both swing and weight. I would not put a chuck weighting more than 4.5 lbs on a mini lathe.

Nova G-3 is an excellent chuck for mini ammazon.com had them on sale with free shipping.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
You donít say what size (diameter) your lathe is but I agree the Nova G3 is a very nice chuck. If you ever go to a larger lathe it will handle bigger items than a micro/mini chuck and still wonít be too large for a smaller lathe. The US service center still has the reconditioned G3 for $75 http://novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm
I donít know about the PSI but the Nova Midi is direct threaded and canít be moved to a larger spindle like a 1-1/4x8.
Have a generic tommy bar chuck and four Novas.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
My lathe is a 1018, 1/2hp. I never considered the G3 because I thought it was a full size chuck. Guess thats what I get for thinking, lol.

As much as I hear that one mentioned, it sounds like a steal for $75. Would anyone be nervous buying a reconditioned one?

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #10 of 11 Old 12-31-2011, 12:43 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I have never bought one from the service center (they do have a warranty) but I purchased a couple from the bay with no warranty and have never had a problem. There is no telling why they were "reconditioned". One I purchased on the bay had the jaws installed in the wrong postitions, another was new and the reason for selling was "I never figured out how to use it" (on the latter the insert had never been installed).
There is very little to go wrong so I would not hesitate myself. I don't know if they will but I would call (instead of email) and ask for a free insert...you never know.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #11 of 11 Old 12-31-2011, 02:01 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaladin View Post
You donít say what size (diameter) your lathe is but I agree the Nova G3 is a very nice chuck. If you ever go to a larger lathe it will handle bigger items than a micro/mini chuck and still wonít be too large for a smaller lathe. The US service center still has the reconditioned G3 for $75 http://novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm
I donít know about the PSI but the Nova Midi is direct threaded and canít be moved to a larger spindle like a 1-1/4x8.
Have a generic tommy bar chuck and four Novas.
I have both of the above but you may consider this one it is on sale with extra jaws http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html This is a good price for the money. The first one PSI sent was missing parts because the box was damaged so they sent me another one (a complete unit) so than I had 2 chucks. I think some of the large chuck pins were missing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode