Lathe Buying Advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

View jporter5333's Photo Album My Photos
Question Lathe Buying Advice

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think of a lathe that I have found. It is a Central Machinery 12"x36" with a reversible head, 600 - 2400 rpm, 3/4 horse motor, and a basic 8 leice wood chisel set. They are asking $200 for all this. I am new to woodturning and this will be my first lathe purchase. I just wondered if anyone can tell me if this is a good deal. the posting says slightly used. Judging from the pics this lathe is not very old at all. i appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
lathe advice

Do not walk,but run from it as it is a piece of crap.I bought one two yrs ago and had to return it four times,plus once they sent me a replacement motor and it lasted two weeks.I finally just returned it to harbor freight and bought a Nova 1624 and havn't looked back.When I took the last one back,the man at harbor freight showed me a bunch of them laying in the warehouse waiting to be returned to the warehouse.
Ken
post #3 of 7 Old 12-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
advise

Hi JP,

I am not real familar with the lathe in question. But I can offer some general advise on lathe buying.

First of all you need to have a clear idea of what you would like to turn.
Bowls, spindles or pens etc Because this will push in the direction of type and size. There is not unfortunately a lathe suited to do all three. Most lathes can do all three, but not as well as one designed for the specific purpose.
Then comes the budget, now it gets tricky matching this with your desires

But theres hope, check out the second hand market.But perhaps most importantly join a wood turning club or guild. The members will steer you in the right direction and often have a lathe or two for sale.

best of luck

hughie

post #4 of 7 Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 AM

View shredder's Photo Album My Photos
As Hughie says join a club to avoid ending up with a piece of junk.
It can be frustrating at times when you first start turning so having a half decent lathe is half the battle, you don't need the extra trouble from a crap lathe.

goodluck
post #5 of 7 Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 AM

View Gordon Seto's Photo Album My Photos
That lathe is the clone of the aged Jet 1236. It used to be always on sale with coupon for around $160 and the 8pc tool set for under $40. It is a usable full size lathe if it works. It has Reeves drive, high maintenance and not very stable. It is not a joy to use. If you don't need the bed length, a mini lathe is a better choice; or a mini with a bed extension. With its random quality, I won't even consider a used one. Most people who has the lathe will upgrade to a real lathe very soon. The is the best lathe that HF has; the rest are dangerous.
For a new full size lathe, there is not much choice between this one and the Nova 1624.
Joining a Club is the best advice.
http://www.woodturner.org/community/...t=Chapter+List
post #6 of 7 Old 12-07-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. That lathe had sold when I called about it. I guess its just as well. I have contact info for a couple of woodturning clubs. I guesss I'll be contacting them. But how much am i realistically looking to pay for a good used lathe of that size? Maybe one with a bad motor or something.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-07-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

What about Shop Fox? I just found a brand new one for $500. It is a 16 x 43 model w1758. Does anyone know anything about these lathes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode