Kilt Pin Round 2 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-28-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Kilt Pin Round 2

If you recall I made a kilt pin the other day using wood (specifically black ebony) and today I decided to make another one using a purple and green acrylic to make my version of a thistle. I still have to flatten a spot for the pin itself but this is what I have today. It is about 2.5" long.

I have decided that I will either attempt to split this one in half using the band saw so it won't stand as proud from the kilt or start a new one and just make it larger to support the aforementioned splitting. I will also use a chuck so I can taper the bottom to a point versus the blunt end I have now.

I have also decided that the pin back I used before isn't what I really want so a piece of steel and a magnet behind the kilt apron might be the best method to attach the pin without damaging the wool.

Be honest in your review, I'm a Scot and am, therefore, thick skinned.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Holy cow that's striking. I've often wondered what acryllic is like to turn and one day, I'm going to give it a whirl. Very nice job on the pin. I love the marble effect of the green areas.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #3 of 7 Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I really like your kilt pins, but I've never seen them in use. I'm not a Scot and don't know what they do. Are they just holding the kilt together? Maybe you could show a pick of the pin on a kilt, preferably not one that some burly Scot is wearing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.

I'll see what I can come up with...one thing though...I am a burly Scotsman!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #5 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Firewood Inquisitor

View sprior's Photo Album My Photos
Looks nice. So what does it take to turn acrylic vs wood - do you need to do anything different with your tools? What about sanding and finishing? It seems like it would be more "grabby" than wood, but I don't know if that's true.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-03-2010, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.

Turning the acrylics does take a bit longer as the material is much harder than most woods (and can also dull tools faster). I have seen the same size pen blanks taking twice as long to turn and up to three times longer to finish using progressively finer abrasives (in our case micro mesh pads). For example, I did a birds eye maple cigar pen and an acrylic cigar pen the other day and finished the maple version in just over 30 minutes and the acrylic took almost 1.5 hours.

As for the challenges of turning the acrylics, you are correct in that the acrylic will certainly grab the cutting tool and leave some nasty cuts in the material. I had that happen to me the other day while turning a blank called Invisavue (from Woodcraft). I had the gouge working the material little by little and all of a sudden I got severe chatter from the gouge as it bounced along creating what can best be described as divots! I went back in to smooth the thing and it shattered on me (yes, face shield in place).

Other issues you face is the need to turn it almost smooth and be picky about the sanding you do. We have learned that anything larger than 150 grit will leave you with deep scars so you need to turn them closer to your bushings where wood can be turned round and then sanded to final dimensions if you really wanted to.

The big thing about the acrylics is, when they're turned and then polished right, they are nothing short of spectacular!

Blue/gold Inlace Acrylester from Rockler

Last edited by Mr Mac; 12-03-2010 at 06:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Mac For This Useful Post:
sprior (12-03-2010)
post #7 of 7 Old 12-03-2010, 03:28 PM

View reprosser's Photo Album My Photos
I like the idea of a wooden kilt pen. I have only used the metal type on mine.

I think spitting your turning in half is a good idea. Your first attempt and this one seem to be a bit bulky as-is. Maybe you start with two square(-ish) halves glued together before turning, and then split apart afterward?

I may have to steal your idea...

PS: Do you have any issues with the kilt pins "pulling" on the apron and enlarging the pin holes after a while. Do you remove the pins when not wearing the kilt? The wooden version should be lighter and maybe not be a problem...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode