"Kiln" for drying pen blanks and small bowls - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
"Kiln" for drying pen blanks and small bowls

I made this over the weekend and it seems to be working pretty well.It's made from a small wine cooler that I picked up at work that was being throwed out.It has a fan in the top to move the air around and a light in the bottom to produce heat.I did add a therometer to keep an eye on the temp. inside.I ran it for a few hours and the temp stayed around 105-110.I think it's going to work nicely.I like the glass front so I can keep an eye on things.
Donny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0513101645a.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	14915  

Name:	0513101646.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	14916  

Name:	0513101646a.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	14917  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that there are holes in the top and the bottom so air can flow in and out.I'm not exactly sure how long it will take to dry my blanks but I'm thinking that running it a few hours a day will make the blanks dry in a few weeks.
Donny
post #3 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 03:41 PM

View wvcraftsman's Photo Album My Photos
Nice way to recycle Donny. I really like the concept. Keep us posted how well the blanks dried in a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
Heck of a nice looking device! I'm very, very skeptical that this will succeed like I wish it would. Kiln drying takes a lot more than heat and airflow and will be really tough to control. I think you'll find that you'll be able to really accelerate the drying process with your kiln but you'll likely suffer a lot of checking and failure of your blanks for that reason.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Well, I have been using the kiln for a few weeks now and it seems to be working well.So far with the items I've put in the kiln there has been no checking at all.Some of the pieces have warped more than I thought but it seems to be working pretty well right now.I figure if the temp stays around 100-110 and the fan is moving the air around throughout the box and out the vent holes it has to dry.It would be nice to leave it on more often than I do but I don't like to leave things on or running while I'm not home. I like to come home to a shop.
Donny
post #6 of 10 Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Cantankerous Ole Dude

View FWH47's Photo Album My Photos
Very good save. Might I suggest that to avoid the checking and/or warping that you try boiling your green wood first. It is amazing as to the amount of saved wood that you will get. Another thing is that the boiled pieces will actually dry faster ... why? I have no idea, but they do!

Here is a link to Steven Russell's informative articles:
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...reen-wood.html

I actually use a turkey fryer I got from Northern Tool (comes with all the necessary items) and all I added was a propane B-B-Q tank for fuel. I have cut my bowl blank losses way down using this method.

Try this and I'll bet you like it as well.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Heads A Turnin

View The Judge's Photo Album My Photos
Great concept but you may want to try to incorperate some type of dehumidifacation unit this will undoubtly increase your dry time and will help with end grain checking. If the moisture is allowed to just circulate within the unit you stand a great risk of mold and bacteria overtaking the wood which may cause discoloration of certain species of wood. Keep up the inginuity you will definiately surprise yourself. Marc
post #8 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 03:29 PM

View Melinda_dd's Photo Album My Photos
Hi people

I'm new on here so please forgive me for jumping in.....
I work in a workshop where we use an oven that heats to 200 degrees... could i use this for drying wood or would it split/warp it... it's on for 8 hours a day.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda_dd View Post
Hi people

I'm new on here so please forgive me for jumping in.....
I work in a workshop where we use an oven that heats to 200 degrees... could i use this for drying wood or would it split/warp it... it's on for 8 hours a day.
Quick way to ruin good wood Melinda. You're better off buying wood to turn that is already dried, and while you're doing that you can also start accumulating green/undried wood and get it drying for next year's turnings.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 05:12 PM

View Melinda_dd's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Quick way to ruin good wood Melinda. You're better off buying wood to turn that is already dried, and while you're doing that you can also start accumulating green/undried wood and get it drying for next year's turnings.
Won't be trying that then hey! lol many thanks will look into drying green wood.... so much to learn!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode