Just uploaded my first video - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

View Dave Pannell's Photo Album My Photos
Just uploaded my first video

onto Youtube. I've never made a "real" video, so please excuse all the many mistakes, from the sound problems, video angles, and my mumbling, lol.

Here's the

Hope somebody gets something out of it haha. It's the first of a series. I think I'm going to document each piece I do from here on out, maybe it will help someone?

I also created a blog at http://artofwoodturning.blogspot.com/. I'll post links to all new videos there, if anyone wants to follow me. Plus I'll have anything about turning or carving on there that I can think of at any given time.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Pannell For This Useful Post:
H. A. S. (01-20-2011), MuzzleMike (01-20-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
nice video
i could never do that but im glad others do
post #3 of 16 Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty interesting Dave. You already know what could be improved so I won't mention it. Thanks for posting. I have a lot of carving tools. Never though of a rotozip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

I looked and looked for the right tool for all the different bits i use, from carving bits to 1.5" sanding drums, to sanding pads. I already had a really nice Craftsman electric die grinder, but it was a set speed, and far too fast for most bits and pads.

So, i needed a dremel on steroids And it's been a lifesaver having adjustable speed, and more power than i need, really. Plus, the handle helps it out a lot.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 AM

View MuzzleMike's Photo Album My Photos
Nice Video Dave . I liked the first shot but I did not have my safety glasses on and I think I got a peace of bark in my eye .
post #6 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

haha, i know, right? My tripod was covered.

Coming next: Woodturning in 3D

post #7 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Great video, Dave. I've been thinking of doing the same thing, maybe shop shortcuts, sharpening, lathe tricks.

Was the video very hard to upload to YTube? A lot of computer stuff, I don't understand yet.

Once again, great job!

Harrison, at your service!
post #8 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Dave Try a Foredom. You can get all sorts of different collets or chucks to hold different bits from 3/32 to 1/4". You can also get a reciprocating hand piece that takes carving tools. I'm on my 3rd flex shaft machine and the Foredom is by far the best so far. The only down side is you are attached to the shaft. It's bad because it somewhat limits your movements. It's good because the hand piece is so much smaller and lighter than any of the electric tools. This makes it less tiring to use. With the right cutters you can remove an awful lot of wood really fast. Kutzall makes some great cutters.
I also have 5 Dremels. You can find them at flea mkts and pawn shops really cheap. I paid $35 for the last one and it had the flex shaft attached. The Flex shaft is $29 by itself if you buy it from a box store.
If you need something that removes a lot of material fast get the mini arbortec that comes with an angle grinder. It's really only a one use tool but man will it get rid of material and is very controllable. The carbide cutter doesn't seem to wear out, at least not with the kind of use I give it.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

It wasn't hard to upload at all. But when you watch the video, you're seeing my very first experience with Windows Movie Maker. Learning to how to edit clips, and add titles, and everything else, was very time consuming. I imagine that learning enough about video shooting and editing to make a "good" video, will take even longer.

John, I use a couple of king arthur tools, one of which was that little chainsaw disk, and i have another one for the angle grinder that's twice the size. I really do want a power carver, but i'm going to have to wait till I sell some more pieces (after i buy insulation, roofing, wall covering, etc for the new shop addition i just built, hence, why my shop is in complete disarray, i have to rebuild the whole dang place!)

My next tool purchases will be a set of Kutzall carbide burrs. I use the small dremel ones and those things have unbelievable control! They don't catch, or dig in, or anything....or run off with you and leave a gouge across the side of your piece, like some of the small fluted bits could do if you weren't careful.

John, i now envy not only your sanding equip, but your carving tools too. But, i have learned to work with what i have, i guess. Though I do hope to expand my tooling in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Pannell For This Useful Post:
H. A. S. (01-21-2011)
post #10 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Dave I've been building up this collection for 30 years. I carved for a long time using nothing but a small set of palm carvers and 1 Dremel with just a few bits. About 10 years ago I decided to get serious about carving. I watched all the sales and when I see a bargain too good to pass up I buy it. It took awhile to build it up that way but I have considerably less money tied up in it than you would think.
I've played with some of the air tools and like the way they cut. I need a bigger air compressor and some really good headphones. I hate the nose they make. However the tools are really cheap compared to electric, once you have a big enough compressor.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean about the air tools. That's the direction I'm headed as well. I have gotten what I've got on sale, or used or whatever. As if a buying at decent prices weren't enough, there's another carrot under the nose. It doesn't take much to recoup the cost of the tools. Thankfully, I was able to make back everything I've ever spent on tools in the first few months of turning And that just makes everyone in the house feel good
post #12 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM

View apprentice's Photo Album My Photos
Always wanted to see how this was done. Nice work! Looking forward to part 2.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! It took a while to learn how to look at turning differently. I love making stuff straight off the lathe, cause it's fast and bowls and hollow forms are pretty. But, now I mostly use the lathe as just a "waste remover", and about the only thing that's usually done from start to finish on the lathe, are the insides.

What I didn't show in the video, was all the time I spend standing there looking at it, and wondering what the heck i'm gonna do to it. There's probably as much time thinking about it and spinning it around, etc, as there is actually working on it, haha.

I get grand ideas, that would take five forevers to do, so I have to constantly simplify my creations, and try and boil down all the "over the top" elements I come up with, into something doable.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-21-2011, 01:11 AM

View MuzzleMike's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pannell View Post
haha, i know, right? My tripod was covered.

Coming next: Woodturning in 3D

As a kid we called it " Real A vision ".
post #15 of 16 Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 AM

Dave I have notebooks full of ideas and sketches. Some of which I still don't have the skills to do, but I will one day. My biggest problem is still finding the time to do them. That's one reason I buy tools that will speed up the process.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-21-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

I can scribble my designs ON the wood, but not on paper, haha. I too get ideas, while i'm not working on a piece. I used to try and draw them out, but as soon as I do, I never wind up making them, due to some "new idea" I've just had

I've gotta get back to the shop remodeling so I can get back to turning in the next day or two.

I am posting different kinds of things each day on my blog at
http;//artofwoodturning.blogspot.com
including what I'm having to do to the shop.

After 10 years of eating from the new tree of knowledge(internet), i decided it was past time to contribute, for what it's worth, haha.

Last edited by Dave Pannell; 01-21-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: making link work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode