Just practicing technique - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Just practicing technique

Had a few problems hollowing this one out but in the end, it turned (pun intended) out okay. Applied tung oil and hit it with the buffer for the finish. I like the shape. I had no plans for this one, just threw a piece of oak on the lathe and started turning. Sometimes it's fun for me to start turning and just see how it develops.
Ken
Attached Images

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
It's real purty! Mikey likes it.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Ken,
Looks nice, reminds me of an old shaving mug. Where are you finding these pieces of oak that don't look like oak? Pretty unique piece of wood. What kind of problems were you having while turning it?
Mike Hawkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Just a practicing technique

Love that rough looking finish,really gives the appearance of an old weather beatin mug.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #5 of 8 Old 08-30-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
HALL OF FAMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Ken, Where are you finding these pieces of oak that don't look like oak? Pretty unique piece of wood. What kind of problems were you having while turning it?
The pieces of oak are 4"X6" that are used in a shipping yard between racks of steel. They are wrapped in a foam lined plastic and used to support racks of steel rods before processing. A friend of mine gets me some from time to time. Some are good and some are not. I think that it is from the center of the tree but I'm not sure. You really have to pick through it to find a half decent piece. I usually just burn it (with the plastic off of course)
As far as the problems....I was just having some issues with the chisel grabbing a catching. It's a technique problem that I'm sure will improve with practice. My chisel technique really needs some work. Watching videos on it just doesn't make it easier. Practice seems to be helping.
Ken

post #6 of 8 Old 08-31-2009, 10:39 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Ken,
That piece of wood looks kind of punky. When you get wood that is going soft, it can be a bit tougher to work with. Tools have to be sharp and angle of aproach and tool placement have to be concise also. The harder woods actually support the tool better, and assuming the tool is sharp, makes for easier cutting. The other thing to keep in mind is when you are turning the inside of a mug or a bowl for that matter, think about how the grain changes direction as your cut progresses around the inside. Most of these inside cuts require starting from one end, going part way, then finishing the cut from the other end. Keep going,
Mike Hawkins
post #7 of 8 Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Just practicing technique

Hey Ken' if you ever want to make one like that nice an shiny,sand it with 80 while on the lathe then maybe 120,then soak it in waterbased sanding sealer,let set a few days,then go to 120 again,then put another coat of SS then let dry another day then you can take it up to 220 or higher,buff with tripoli then wax and you got one heck of a purty piece.You can always make a desk or sumpin in between steps.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #8 of 8 Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
HALL OF FAMER

Thanks for the advice fellas. It's always good for me to receive advice from fellow wood workers who have more experience than me. From there, I can apply it however I see fit. Some advice really helps. I appreciate it. Hopefully, I'll keep practicing and, one day, I'll be the one giving the advice. Thanks again.
Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode