I've been working on this production job for a week now. I turn a few each day after work. I have to do 16. I only have 4 to go (I've turned more since this photo). they are 5 1/2 in diameter and 13" tall. When I get done I figure there will be over 1000 flutes cut in them with the router. I will finish them up on Saturday. Then I have to build a special jig for the table saw to cut all 4 sides square. It was going to be a real hassle to run 5 1/2" square by 8 foot logs through my planer. This wood is pine and it's almost impossible to drill a hole in the bottom perfectly true to center so I decided it would be easier to modify a jig I already have for my table saw and use the center hole to align everything. I'll post a photo of the jig. It will be useful for other things later on.
He keeps telling me he will have me over to see it. I will certainly bring a camera. I've done a bunch of furniture repairs for him that will also go in this room I think. I turned one more tonight so now I just have 3 to go. Will try to get those done in the morning. I'm tired of these things.
Here they are finished at last. 1,152 fluting cuts. 5 garbage cans of waste. I lost track of how many times I sharpened. Pine is hard to cut clean so I had to sharpen about every 3rd finial and honed the edge just before the final pass on each long curve. That eliminated a whole lot of sanding so it was worth it.
It was in pine which would not be my first choice. We had trouble finding dry wood in that size. I would have preferred Poplar as far as turning and staining goes but I don't know what the beams are in the house where they are going. The first wood he brough me was wet inside. The seller told him it was dry. It also had wind shake cracks that made it dangerous to turn. He took that back and the sold him the pine.