Jet min lathe riser bock - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

View goodyt's Photo Album My Photos
Jet min lathe riser bock

Has anyone on this forum ever added a riser block (1" to 2") to a Jet 1014 Mini Lathe? If so, how did it work out? Does anyone make such a riser block, or would it be necessary to have a machinist make one for me?

Not sure about posting on this forum, e.g., how my name, profile, etc. gets on the post. Therefore, my name is Tom Goodson, and I am located in Dallas, Texas. Thanks for any input you might provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
I've not seen a riser block for the Jet 1014, I would be interested since I own one. I think the reason for that may be that the motor doesn't have the horsepower to turn anything much larger that it's current capacity, aside from adding rail extensions for spindle work. Anyone else have some insight? I'd be interested in a riser block if there is one available aftermarket.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I added wooden riser blocks to my first real lathe. It was a 12" and I wanted 16. It worked. I got a little more vibration since the wood flexed. You also have to make some sort of extension for the tool rest and tailstock.
I have an older Nova Comet mini lathe. It is a 10" swing also and I would love to make it at least 12". I do have a milling machine, and welder now so I will probably make it out of steel or aluminum when I get around to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Jet mini lathe riser block

Thanks for the responses. I will try to post again tomorrow, or next day, after consulting with my son tomorrow.

It seems he knows of a steel place for the raw material, and has a friend with a machining mill. Not sure if I can have all info by tomorrow, but should at least able to report on cost of raw material.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on how to mount the tail stock on a riser and still have the "lock-down" mechanism work? Thanks.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
If you didn't already know, Woodcraft has all Jet stuff 15% off right now. I just got a riser kit for my bandsaw.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Jet mini lathe riser block

Bonanza35,

Thanks for the input. I contacted Walter Meier, which is the major Jet supplier in the US, and they indicated that no riser block for the lathe existed, as far as they knew.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Jet min lathe riser block

Update! I found a machinist yesterday who seemed to understand my problem. He is going to make the two riser blocks (head stock and tail stock) from aluminum. Cost: $180.00

More than I wanted to pay, but less than buying a bigger lathe. I figure if I keep my tools really sharp that I can make this work with the regular motor.

Blocks promised in one week. I will post pictures of the blocks and of the lathe re-assembled if anyone is interested.

Have a great week!
post #8 of 11 Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Don't forget the tool post height. You'll either need a new tool rest or you'll need to rig up a riser block to go between the Banjo and tool rest. Since I had a welder I just made taller tool rests for my Banjo
post #9 of 11 Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Jet min lathe riser block

John,

Many thanks! Proof positive that several heads are better than one. I was so pleased with myself for hunting down a machinist and working out the riser issue, the thought of an enhanced tool post never crossed my mind. Thanks again.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-07-2011, 02:36 AM

View stez's Photo Album My Photos
I just bought a JET 1014I and was planning to have riser blocks made for it, but I was wondering how your project has gone.
Do you have pics?
What is the longest 3 groove belt that you can get for the JET1014? Is it only the next size up, the one that fits the JET1220? I'd like to make my lathe have a 14" swing over bed, although a 15" or 16" would be nice just to have the extra clearance.
stez
post #11 of 11 Old 07-07-2011, 07:25 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Wish you luck with your 1014 riser project. Not something I would do. At the end of the day after modifying headstock, tailstock, tool rest, and find a larger belt, motor just not strong enough.

Just a few more bucks more could buy a Harbor Freight 34706 lathe. This lathe would give you more bang for your bucks even buying the extended warranty.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode