Jet metal lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-02-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
woodbychris.com

View 43longtime's Photo Album My Photos
Jet metal lathe

can you use a metal lathe to turn wood?

there is a really good deal on a used Jet model #BD-920N lethe for $250.
could i use that for turning wood?

thanks
chris

"If you have the inspiration, I have the tools"

www.woodbychris.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM

View coffeetime's Photo Album My Photos
Chris,
Yes you can turn wood on a metal lathe. However there are some consideratios you need to be aware of before you decide if you want to.
First is the speed. Most metal lathes do not run as fast as wood lathe. The bigger the metal lathe the slower the top speed. So Iwould check to see if it will go fast enough for you.
Secound is the cost of tooling. The wood lathe tooling like chucks and tool post do not fit on the metal lathe. These parts for the metal lathes are a lot more expensive.
Third is oil. A metal lathe has high persion mating surfaces like the saddle to bed and require oiling to keep them running smooth. All this oil will some day get on something your turning and possably ruin it.
So the real question is do you want to turn wood on a metal lathe. I would, but I am familiar with both lathes and have a machine shop to make anything that I needed to adapt the metal lathe for wood turning. Do I turn wood on a metal lathe? No, I have used the metal lathe to drill a long hole in wood, like for a pepper grinder. If I got a really good deal on a small metal lathe then yes I would drag it home mainly for metal turning. I might turn wood for something special on it but my primary wood turning would still be on my wood lathe.

Mike
post #3 of 5 Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Along with what is mentioned above the saddle that holds the tool post gets in the way. I like to use some turning tools with the handle down and you can't do that. It can also be slow to adjust the tool rest.
It can be done. Michelle Holzaphel (sp) who is famous for her carvings starts them on a metal lathe.
I have a metal lathe and use turning tools to turn metal on it. When I need smooth curves that are difficult to cut using the cross feed controls I replace the tool post with a metal bar and then use my HSS wood turning tools to turn the cove or bead parts. Of course this is in non ferrous metals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM

View Jack Giovo's Photo Album My Photos
Depending on what you want to turn - I bet you could get a new wood lathe and some tools for a bit more than the dollars for that used metal lathe. I agree with the others you have to have some higher speeds to do some turning depending on the diameter of the wood. Do some searching on woodturning sites and you can see some of the suppliers - something is always on sale somewhere and there are many good sites out there to supply your needs

Jack
post #5 of 5 Old 03-02-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
woodbychris.com

View 43longtime's Photo Album My Photos
ok!!! thanks guys i just thought about getting it because it is for sale 250 used and i found one new on a website and it sells for 1400. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004T9KY/...izonaspecialty

"If you have the inspiration, I have the tools"

www.woodbychris.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode