Is the Jet JML-1014 still a "best buy"? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
Is the Jet JML-1014 still a "best buy"?

From what I read awhile back, this mini lathe got some great reviews by the folks here. I have the opportunity to pick one up with the extended bed for $250 (two years old, minimal use).

From my research, this is a very fair price for this lathe, but I started wondering if there were other, better, options to upgrade from my tube Craftsman.

Thanks!

Ut Prosim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 03:07 AM

View thintz's Photo Album My Photos
I would go with the JET. I have a 1014 that I can't remember exactly how old it is but it still runs perfectly. There is a (good) reason why woodturners have liked the 1014 for so many years. It is a very nice, smooth-running lathe. I have a Powermatic 3520B but still go back to the 1014 for lots of smaller jobs.
The Following User Says Thank You to thintz For This Useful Post:
Taylormade (10-21-2011)
post #3 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Think that Jet Mini with extension will serve you well. Not sure but think that model comes with indexing feature too. I sold my Jet mini for $125, no indexing or bed extension.

Yes, there are better options available to you. How much money do you have to spend?
The Following User Says Thank You to wildwood For This Useful Post:
Taylormade (10-21-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post

Yes, there are better options available to you. How much money do you have to spend?
Well I'm trying to spend around $250... that's what I'm getting this one for. I have a monster of a lathe currently and love it. I don't really NEED another one, per se, but if I could get a good one, save some space by storing the extension when not used, without breaking the bank, I'd do it.

Ut Prosim
post #5 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 09:42 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
For what it's worth I got one without the extended bed for about $125 (I think) but I would still think $250 is a reasonable price with the extended bed. I really like mine, though I keep planning to put a variable speed dial on it rather than having to change the belts.
The Following User Says Thank You to frankp For This Useful Post:
Taylormade (10-21-2011)
post #6 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
For what it's worth I got one without the extended bed for about $125 (I think) but I would still think $250 is a reasonable price with the extended bed. I really like mine, though I keep planning to put a variable speed dial on it rather than having to change the belts.
Thanks Frank. For the variable speed would you just put the belt to it's fastest setting and then control it with the knob? If so, how do you really know what speed you're turning the piece? Is there a specific aftermarket add on that controls the speed to an exact RPM or would you just eyeball it?

Ut Prosim
post #7 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Thanks Frank. For the variable speed would you just put the belt to it's fastest setting and then control it with the knob? If so, how do you really know what speed you're turning the piece? Is there a specific aftermarket add on that controls the speed to an exact RPM or would you just eyeball it?
Taylormade, yeah, put the belts on "high speed" and then control with a varister added inline with the power. I don't know of any after-market add-ons to do this but I'm an electrical engineer and it wouldn't take long to sit down and sketch out an appropriate circuit to do the work. As for knowing the exact speed, that can be calculated mathematically or tested fairly easily with a simple tachometer. The only reason I haven't done it yet is I only turn something about once every 3 or 4 months and I haven't had time to do it with so many other projects already in progress.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 01:49 PM

Variable Speed Midi Lathe Conversion Kit: for Turncrafter , Jet & Delta Lathes
http://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TCLVSKIT&sho wreviews=1#prodtabs

I would be afraid to attempt the conversion, some folks over at IAP had problems some did not. You can read reviews at PSI.

I would like a Oneway, Robust, or this lathe.
Powermatic 3520B
http://powermaticblack.com/powermatic-3520b-lathe-black-onyx.php
post #9 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 02:03 PM
No Longer Here

wildwood, thanks for that link to the converter kit. It's nice but there's no way I'd want to swap out a motor or pay an extra $100 to do so. Maybe I'm just too cheap. Scratch that, I'm definitely too cheap. :) The conversion itself shouldn't be too difficult at all with that kit, though. If I was going to get a kit like that, though, I'd want more than a 1/2 hp motor. Might as well step it up to at least 3/4 hp, preferably 1 hp.

That powermatic is certainly nice, but it's a bit outside the $250 budget. :D
post #10 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 PM

My Jet 1642, 110V has EVS and could not live without it.

People have talked about upping HP on their Jet minis to HP. Think most folks just end up with new lathe.

I know these folks sell a lot of motors and electronic accessories for folks updating their to woodworking machines. Old Google messages boards once listed all components needed to buy from here to turn a Nova 3000 into EVS.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/electric.asp?catname=electric

Month or so back fellow over at IAP upgraded his old iron Delta to EVS. He got lot of stuff from surplus Center.

Best lathe is the one you own now, there are always more costly options.

Think the Jet mini with extension for $250 a step up from a Craftsman tube lathe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode