it's not wood (but you can write with it) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
it's not wood (but you can write with it)

Thanks to the George (Texatdurango) for posting his guide to making a fountain pen section in the library at the IAP website.

It took me two attempts to make one that allowed the nib feed housing to screw in correctly -- it seems I had a concentricity problem, drilling the holes from opposite ends allowed a tiny error which was just enough to prevent the feed housing from mating.

For the second one I adjusted the order of the steps -- drilling all the holes for the nib/feed unit from the same end and tapping the threads, then turning it around the cut the threads to mate with the barrel and drilling out to receive the cartridge converter.

Success! The barrel and cap were easy in comparison.

In retrospect, putting the cap screwthreads so far back from the end of the barrel wasn't a wise decision, as it forced the cap to be unnaturally long. (It posts, but is unwieldy.) On the positive side -- the pen is very comfortable and well balanced without the cap posted, and the Bock #5 nib writes smoothly (I loaded it with Noodler's Polar Blue.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5321.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	60399  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5324.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	60400  

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice. Turning the threads feels to be a delicate operation. Well done.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Nice!! Quick question. Ive always wondered how you "kitless" guys polish the threads?

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
Very nice. Turning the threads feels to be a delicate operation. Well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
Nice!! Quick question. Ive always wondered how you "kitless" guys polish the threads?
Thanks

I've no idea how others do it, but I just polished the male threads with micromesh at the same time as polishing the rest of the part. Guess that means I only did the peaks, since I couldn't get to the valleys.

I didn't do anything to the female threads either (or the insides of the tubes) other than rinse out with a little DNA and a shot of DustAir to get rid of any swarf that might be hiding down there.

When drilling and cutting the threads, I used plenty of spray-can cooking oil as lube, refreshing it often.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
The Following User Says Thank You to duncsuss For This Useful Post:
BassBlaster (01-21-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode