issue with spindle - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 10-14-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
issue with spindle

Because I was having tear our with my four pronged drive center I decided to buy one of these: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...eter-2-mt.aspx
Originally it worked very well but recently I it began to wobble even when there was no wood mounted to it. My guess is that the issue is inside the headstock spindle itself but I am unaware of any method for cleaning out the inside. I tried to take down the small burrs that had ocured on the morse taper but that did not seem to help. Was wondering if anyone had run into this problem and how you dealt with it. I tried cleaning out the inside of the spindle with a paper towel but that didnt help either. Any help will be greatly appeciated. Happy turnin,
Bond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-14-2012, 04:55 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Get yourself a shotgun cleaning kit. Works great for cleaning out you head and tail stock . I bypass that problem by using one that mounts in my chuck.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 10 Old 10-14-2012, 05:30 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
You didn't say what lathe you have or how old it is. You could have bearing problems or on some lathes the handwheel is loose which takes pressure off the bearing and you get chatter and wobble from the spindle.
Don't grind on the morse taper. They make a cleaning tool out of rubber with a mild abrasive. They also make a taper reamer but I would only use that as a very last resort. If the morse taper goes in solidly and doesn't spin it is probably not the morse taper hole that is the problem.
There is one more problem I have encountered. Some morse tapers have a tang on the end that will not seat properly in some lathes. Make sure the morse taper seats all the way into the spindle and does not rotate or wobble. I had to grind the tang shorter on one of my drill chucks because it would not work correctly in my Delta midi lathe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Bond -- you don't say if your original spur drive center also wobbles when it's in the headstock ... if it does, then it's likely the headstock is the problem (bearings, taper, whatever). If it doesn't, then the problem is with the new Stebb drive center.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #5 of 10 Old 10-15-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
okdok so here are some more specifics with some pictures. I have a nova 1624 and here is the raw data. i have 3 drive centers that I tested. The first is the one that came with the lathe (which developed a wobble) the second is another drive center I took off my central machinery lathe (which does not wobble) and the third is the new one that I got from woodcraft (which does wobble) The only main difference I can tell is that the section where the ware takes place on the drive that does work is higher up than the sections where the ware takes place on the other two. This one kind of baffles me. Not sure what the cause is or what should be done. Should I get a cleaning kit for the center? Or try to clean out the spindle? Have any of you all had problems like this? Any help would be appreciated. Could the ware be caused from turning oversized blanks between centers? Let me know as Im dying to get this stupid thing fixed so I can get back to turning
Attached Images

post #6 of 10 Old 10-15-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond3737 View Post
The only main difference I can tell is that the section where the ware takes place on the drive that does work is higher up than the sections where the ware takes place on the other two.
IMO, there's something wrong with the MT in the drive head.

I'll double check my drive centers tonight to confirm this, but I believe there should be NO SUCH WEAR PATTERN on the drive centers.

The entire length of the taper should be in contact -- it looks like there's some crud or a ridge inside the head which is causing this.

post #7 of 10 Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
looking at the first and last pic they look like the same wear pattern to me so i would agree it looks to me like a problen in your mt head
post #8 of 10 Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
All 3 of us agree. There is a burr or something inside the morse taper. It might appear in a different spot simply because the tapers may seat differently. You would have to measure from a know dimension on the taper to know if its in the same spot. I'll bet it is.

Stick your finger in and you should be able to feel a burr that is that large. You may be able to put some sandpaper on a stick and remove that burr with some careful sanding. Then take one of the drive centers and color it with a magic marker. Put it in gently and rotate it slightly. Pull it out and look to see if the mark is still there. When you get the high spot of the burr down far enough the taper should scratch the magic marker in a bunch of places.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-15-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
Stick your finger in and you should be able to feel a burr that is that large. You may be able to put some sandpaper on a stick and remove that burr with some careful sanding.
That would be after you manage to get your finger out, of course ... Pam is your friend

You could also wrap sandpaper around the outside of the longest MT spur you've got and use that to smooth the obstruction away (gently). Too much pressure will likely result in the sandpaper tearing.

post #10 of 10 Old 10-15-2012, 03:49 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond3737 View Post
Could the ware be caused from turning oversized blanks between centers? Let me know as Im dying to get this stupid thing fixed so I can get back to turning
First I agree with the others that the problem is in the MT of the spindle. I would use a dowell with 600g wet/dry and the slowest speed, lubricate with oil, and use a very light touch.

In one of Grumbines videos he warned against using drive spurs with really large items (per Bill they are for spindle work). If they come loose much at all it can cause lots of problems. He uses a large spur that mounts in the chuck jaws or screws onto the spindle. Even a smaller spur drive which mounts in the chuck would prevent the problem.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode