I need help using glue. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-03-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

View dancarver's Photo Album My Photos
I need help using glue.

i just recently bought a new lathe,I took a pen turning class,and I want to turn some deer antler,what kind of glue do you use on the insert tube?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2011, 02:02 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
My choice would be 2-part epoxy, same as I use to glue tubes into wooden blanks. I use the 5-minute or 30-minute kind, but always allow it to cure overnight before turning it.

Barry Gross (in The Pen Turner's Workbook) says thin CA -- dribbled into the hole to seal and stabilize the inside -- and medium CA to actually glue the tube in place.

It's your call ... but I was told the CA is more prone to mechanical failure than epoxy glue.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
The Following User Says Thank You to duncsuss For This Useful Post:
dancarver (12-03-2011)
post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I have several pen tube failures using CA glue. Use two part epoxy from Big Box stores read package for wait time 5 min. epoxy normally requires 2 hour wait time, 24 hours mo-better. Normally do all glue ups one day and turn next day. Never had a glue failure with epoxy or poly glue ups.

Have a store bought insertion tool easy to clean after use, but tubes stick to it, so make my own out of wood, or use lead pencil.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage2.aspx?id=2081517&ProdId=30400&&keyword =keywordless1&refcode=06INGOOG&gclid=CNDt7Nrx5awCF Q1x5QodIyQrLw
The Following User Says Thank You to wildwood For This Useful Post:
dancarver (12-03-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-03-2011, 07:46 AM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
I sand the outer part of the tube first then i use medium CA. cover half the tube all the way round, then insert while turning tube in one end first then pull back out and reverse blank and insert it all the way in..Ca has not failed me yet.

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff4woodturning For This Useful Post:
dancarver (12-03-2011)
post #5 of 10 Old 12-03-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all! I have been using CA glue that came with a pen kit I have recently purchased. I have turned five wood blanks and three of the five are good. Two blew up on me so I talked to a man about this he said the glue failed... I placed a order for some bullet pens and I would like to use deer antler, but the man said to use a polyurethane based glue ???

Last edited by dancarver; 12-03-2011 at 08:32 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
If you're that new to turning, I wouldn't be so quick to blame glue failure for the blank blowing up (no offense). I've turned hundreds (if not over a thousand) pens, all done with CA glue, and in my experience the blow ups have been due either to punky wood/defects in the wood or, more likely, inept operator error . Taking too aggressive a cut or bad tool positioning. All that said, I have no idea what glue is better for antler.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
dancarver (12-03-2011)
post #7 of 10 Old 12-03-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

No offense taken, i'm not blaming the glue.yes i'm new to this game.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-03-2011, 12:17 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
The more I think about this, the more strongly I feel that you shouldn't use CA with deer antler unless you test it first on a throw-away piece, or a part that will be turned away.

Thin CA for sure will wick right into any pores and set almost instantly (that's what makes it so good for stabilizing crumbly wood).

Medium CA doesn't wick so much, but if the chemical composition of the antler acts as an accelerant you'll find the glue sets before you manage to get the tube all the way into the hole you drilled. Moisture is a known accelerant (which is one reason not to use CA with green wood) but I don't know about antler.

So -- if you want to go with CA, test it first with a drop or two on a cut end that will be trimmed off later. See how quickly it sets and judge if that gives you enough time to get the tube placed correctly.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #9 of 10 Old 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Woodturning about compromising, there is no one glue that meets 100% of our needs. Glue failure has nothing to do with skill level, we all get them some times. Knowing why and what to do after a glue failure what separates beginners from experienced turners.

Over at IAP have folks that won’t switch from CA and those that swear by Epoxy or Polyurethane. Whatever works making you successful important everything else does not matter.

My experience, CA glue not great at gap filling for either wood or acrylic pen blanks. You need 100% contact for strong joint, less than 100% contact weak joint. Weak CA glue ups equals glue failure. No, have not tried rubberized CA and don’t plan on buying any.

Epoxy cures under a wider range of temperatures and moisture content than other glues, does not require pressure while curing, and has good gap-filling properties. Epoxy available locally, modest cost, and 100% success rate is my go to glue for pens. Same is true for polyurethane, never had a tube come out of a blank while curing and 100% success rate.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM

View TonyBal's Photo Album My Photos
I have only done several dozen pens, BUT I have had very good luck using this stuff. The dry time is between 30 & 50 seconds, which gives you a little extra time to get things where you want them.The only time I have ever had a problem was when I had to put it on very thick & did not wait long enough for it to dry.

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.
-Lou Holtz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode