How important is indexing and power? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 04-04-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

View Rodger Holland's Photo Album My Photos
Question How important is indexing and power?

Greetings,

I am a novice woodworker and both my wife and I are looking forward into beginning some turning projects. While most of our immediate turning will be small stuff, I can easily envision making legs and large (party) bowls down the line. I have read as much as I can about indexing wheels, but would like your opinion about the importance of buying a lathe that has indexing capability built into it. Also, we are considering spending a little more to get something with 2HP and would like your thoughts there.

Views from experienced turners would be greatly appreciated. And while I am at it, recommendations regarding tools would be great too. How much should we expect to spend for a introductory set of turning tools? Brands? Anything else to help a novice...

Thanks in advance,

Rodger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Indexing is easily added to lathes that have 1"x8 threads or 1 1/4" x 8. You can get the wheels from www.ironfireLLC.com I use indexing a lot. Most turners don't. I wouldn't make that a priority unless you know you are going to turn items that use indexing. To use indexing you will have need a router, or a drill, or carve things buy had which I think is why many turners don't use it.
Horsepower is nice. If you don't have much you simply turn slower or don't take large bites. Lack of lathe vibration and lathe stability are at least as important if not more so than horsepower.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode