How do you guys mark your pens? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

View Ray Cover's Photo Album My Photos
How do you guys mark your pens?

Sunday evening after supper I made a stamp for Rachel to mark her wood turnings. This will work fine for her regular wood turnings but I am afraid to try and mark a pen with a punch. I'm sure it would end up cracking wood and warping parts.

So how do you guys mark your pens and other tiny fragile items?

Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving

http://rcoverengraving.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I don't mark small items.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 PM

View boxerman's Photo Album My Photos
I thought about having my initials engraved on the clips.

Craig Lorence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 09:09 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Ray,
I haven't seen anyone mark their pens, but then again, I never looked that hard. We had Bob Rosand as a visiting pro turner at our club a few months ago. He signs all his work with a permanent marker that you have to get at a graphic arts supply. The tip is very tiny, something like .010". He can sign such a tiny autograph, you need a magnifying glass to read it. That's about the only thing I think I would try on a pen.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Wow....... is that a branding iron you made????

Tutorial
Tutorial.......

Learning more about tools everyday
post #6 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. Rachel's penmanship isn't the greatest so a marker pen might not b the best LOL. DO any of you have experience with laser machines like some trophy shops use? I wonder if we could find a trophy shop somewhere that could laser burn her name in.

TCLeve4911, This is actually a stamp you hit with a hammer or press into the wood. Originally I had planned to use a hammer but I figured out that it works better to chuck the stamp up in the drill press and press the stamp in. It is much easier to control depth and quality that way. Here is a link to a tutorial I did for this stamp on one of the engraving forums. http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=8336

Ray

Ray Cover

The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Cover For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (01-25-2012)
post #7 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I don't mark my pens, have heard of all kinds of suggestions when topic comes up. One guys has a electric branding iron thingy which looked ok. No idea where he got it.

Why not just hand out a business card?
post #8 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
Why not just hand out a business card?
I'm not talking about making advertising pens here. I'm talking about signing one's work. In my world my collectors do not want my artwork or any other artist work unless its signed by the artist.

If your going to take the time to make something and put time and effort into it to make it your best it deserves to be signed.

Ray

Ray Cover

post #9 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 AM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
I don't sign my name on pens. Signing your name on a pen might ruin the look for some customers. Maybe laser engrave parts inside that could only bee seen when you pull it apart. Even the top pen makers don't have a signature showing on the pen. There is one guy who has custom finial inserts made with his logo on it, but that's the only example I've ever seen.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!

Last edited by jlord; 01-24-2012 at 11:13 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

The top pen makers do sign their names . David Broadwell, Greyson Tighe, and others I know all sign their pens. I also sign every pen I engrave for David.
http://www.david.broadwell.com/engrpen.htm

Ray Cover

post #11 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Hi Ray.
Nice engraving work. What I meant was there are no signatures that show & detract from the look of the pen. I looked thru your pictures & you would have to show where the signature is located. Most people don't have the talent for such fine engraving. About the closest they can come to this is to have it laser engraved. And even that should be done in a tasteful way as to not detract from the look of the pen. Pens are a small item & I personally don't have a way to sign my pens so the signature doesn't look out of place. I have taken pen in to have a laser engraving done for a customer at their request then fill with color.

James
Whittier, CA.

Last edited by jlord; 01-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 04:55 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
I've made a few pens, but never thought about signing them. I make pens to show off the natural beauty of the wood, or sometimes acrylic, that I used. It's like me saying "Hey, look how great this wood looks." instead of "Hey, look how awesome I can make a pen look." Signing it anywhere on the wood would detract from the purpose of the pen. My only option for signing would be engraving it into the nib, or the clip, or a center band. I'm happy if the person receiving one of my pens is happy with it. I've always thought that signing something you make is bit arrogant and pompous.

Those items linked above are status symbols, they're not pens. $1,500 or more for a pen is no different than $250,000 for some car. They're status symbols at that point, nothing more.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 05:37 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Ray you have more knowledge on engraving than most of us making kit pens. Pen enthusiast definitely know distinction between high end pens and kit pens. As many world known pen designers that sign their pens an equal number do not. People buy kits pen because they are unique and not found in stores in a bag.

Number of pen turners selling kit pens for more than $250-$500 per pen on daily basis pretty small. Go hang out at the IAP: http://www.penturners.org/forum/
See what pen kits people are making. If become a member can view Marketing and show thread. Check out Polls, Surveys, and Votes thread:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f17/what-were-your-gross-sales-2011-a-91201/

I understand where you are coming from signing your work, just not sure cost of signing a pen worth the effort unless have the sales.

Here is a vendor that can put anything you want on a pen at minimum cost.
http://www.happyturners.com/index.html

You can also get your own laser or CNC machine to put your brand on.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Those items linked above are status symbols, they're not pens. $1,500 or more for a pen is no different than $250,000 for some car. They're status symbols at that point, nothing more.
I have to respectful disagree with the "nothing more" part of your statement. They are pens and they do get used and write very nicely. They are at a minimum works of fine craftsmanship many collect them as works of art.

Art objects have value and worth way beyond mere status symbols. Not everyone who buys such things values them as art but I think you would be surprised at the large number of people who do.

Some things cost a lot of money because they are handmade. David makes very part of his pens from scratch except the nib and he has those made by Bach in Germany. He puts a lot of love, care and pride in his work to make the best pen he can. Such effort and craftsmanship has to be worth more than just "status and nothing else".

I understand where your coming from but I have to disagree with your perspective.

Ray Cover

post #15 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the research material Wildwood.

If people have such a "commodity" view of kit pens maybe its not worth signing them.

Maybe the kid will get inspired to make her own "kits".

Ray

Ray Cover

post #16 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cover View Post
Thanks for the research material Wildwood.

If people have such a "commodity" view of kit pens maybe its not worth signing them.

Maybe the kid will get inspired to make her own "kits".

Ray
Maybe an small laser engraved logo or initials on the clip? Don't know how it would effect the plating. I have a sample of the Aztec calender from a demo at a wood show & the details are very small with these machines.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/video/azt...ting_video.htm

James
Whittier, CA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode