how do I get rid of it? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

View Wonderwood's Photo Album My Photos
how do I get rid of it?

This is something called a DIS...its used for pulling fiber through the holes, to get it ready to be spun into yarn. ( so the wife says).
Its only about the size of a quarter...and its concaved...just think of a very small bowl..
This was the very first thing I ever turned on my new lathe, I am still learning...and what I need to learn at this very moment is how do I get rid of that small dipple in the middle? I only had a small skew to work with, and a very small ( made for pen turning ) gouge.
any help would be great!

Thanks much..I love this site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 06:07 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
I always use a round nose scraper to get rid of the center dimple on the insides of a bowl. I wouldn't suggest starting off turning with a scew, they can be very dangerous if not used properly, and very frusterating as well. If you're leaning towards turning bowls and the like, then I would suggest getting a bowl gouge, roughing gouge, and maybe a round nose scraper. Im sure you'll get some better advise from some of the veteran turners.

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
WW,
What FF said. Get a few more tools. If your small gouge you have now is a spindle roughing gouge, don't use it for carving out the inside of a bowl shape, very dangerous cut. Get yourself a bowl gouge and a round nose scraper. These two will allow you to hollow out a bowl shape. You can also use these two tools for spindle turning, they are very versatile. As far as getting rid of those pesky buttons, the scraper is an easy way to do it. just place the edge of the scraper under the button and move the tool in an up and down direction and it will disappear. Make sure your tool rest is perpendicular to the bed of the lathe. Your tool should be coming in straight at the button, inline with the bed rails.
Mike Hawkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Bowl, or spindle?

This is the gouge that I got in a 3 piece pen set...from what I can tell from photos online..it looks like a Bowl Gouge...but why would there be a bowl gouge in a pen set? Wouldnt a spindle gouge be better for pen making?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 09:46 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
WW,
Looks like a miniature roughing gouge, characterized by the straight edge on the front and the square corners on the top of the flute. You don't want to use this on the inside of a bowl. The square edges will cause a serious catch, possibly breaking the tool in pieces, destroying your blank, and that's the good part. Very easy to get hurt when that happens. Go to this site for Sorby tools and look around at the different turning tools they make. Each has an explanation, picture, tips, and videos of the tools in use. That will give you a better idea of what each one does and what you may want to use.
http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/
Mike Hawkins

Last edited by firehawkmph; 02-21-2009 at 10:16 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks...That will help alot
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2009, 08:17 AM

View Gordon Seto's Photo Album My Photos
That looks like a "U" bowl gouge with a traditional grind. The Spindle Rouging Gouge has even wall thickness on the whole edge.
A SRG milled from round stock would have different transition at the beginning of the flute.

How deep is your Quarter size "bowl"? You may want to adjust your tool rest so the cutting edge is exactly on center line; that would eliminate the bump. A skew is not for deep & tight cove.
The forged tangs of most SRG are the weak point, there is where the tool snaps if you have a major catch. The Thompson (top) and P&N (bottom) in the photo are the safer type; they are milled from round steel.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Seto View Post
That looks like a "U" bowl gouge with a traditional grind. The Spindle Rouging Gouge has even wall thickness on the whole edge.
A SRG milled from round stock would have different transition at the beginning of the flute.

How deep is your Quarter size "bowl"? You may want to adjust your tool rest so the cutting edge is exactly on center line; that would eliminate the bump. A skew is not for deep & tight cove.
The forged tangs of most SRG are the weak point, there is where the tool snaps if you have a major catch. The Thompson (top) and P&N (bottom) in the photo are the safer type; they are milled from round steel.
Its not deep at all...its more of a shallow cove...Think of a quarter...and bend up the sides just a tad...I will attemp to get a better picture of it from the side
post #9 of 9 Old 02-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
How do I get rid of it

If you don't have a scraper an either can't afford or don't want to buy one,just go to your home center an get a piece of 1/4 x1" flat stock an make some.I have several of em and they work pretty good as scrapers.Gotta sharpen em often,but for about 8 bucks for a three ft piece you can get two good ones an they will last quite a while.One of these days when I learn how to resize pics,I'm gonna post some picks of my home made tools.I figure I have saved myself over 400.00 bucks at least on tools an they all work just as good as the store bought ones.
Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode