How to (can I) modify chuck jaws - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-17-2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
How to (can I) modify chuck jaws

I bough these chuck jaws to fit inside a 7/8" hole. Unfortunately, the diameter of the jaws is closer to 15/16". Any ideas for how I can cut it down a bit? Clearly, it will be important to keep the sides of the jaws parallel. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-17-2015, 11:51 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Id chuck it up in my metal lathe and turn it down, but I am assuming you don't have one of those. You only need to remove 1/32 per side. With the lathe turning on its slowest speed use a file to file it down.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-19-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

A file was my first thought, but since my hands don't quite have the stability of a cross slide, I'm concerned that I might not end up with parallel jaws.

I wonder what my chances are of finding a local machine shop with a metal lathe with a 1-1/2" X 8 TPI spindle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Easier way would be to turn a jam chuck out of wood if yo are just doing one or two off.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-19-2015, 11:41 AM

View saculnhoj's Photo Album My Photos
Ditto what Gary said Jam chucks are easy to make. Just measure your hole diameter and turn a tenon long enough to fit into whatever your making. Leave the last 1/4" or more a tiny bit thicker and sneak up on the fit. If you get it too loose stick some tissue paper in there or even wet the surface to swell it.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-19-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

My goal is to turn the tops of pepper mills which have a 7/8" hole drilled for the top part of a crush/grind mechanism. I've had some success using a jam chuck when I can use a center on the opposite end, but that's not always possible, so i was looking for something more stable. So, I'd really like to make these chuck jaws a little bit skinnier.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-19-2015, 05:41 PM

View Bill Boehme's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Gary and John ... just make a jam chuck.

If you must use the scroll chuck then before turning the jaws down to the desired diameter, you need to have the jaw position set to the "perfect circle" diameter. On Vicmarc chucks, that will be the stated jaw size and on others you will need to take some measurements to figure that out.Find or turn a small metal rod of the right diameter to clamp in the jaws so that it will be at the perfect circle diameter. The jaws are soft so that you can use HSS or carbide cutters. While it can be done on a woodturning lathe, the results are better if you can get access to a metal lathe.

Bill Boehme
My Photo Gallery
post #8 of 8 Old 12-20-2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I used a couple of files - coarse at first then finer, checking frequently with a micrometer. Seems to have worked well. Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode