How Bout We do......... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-05-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

View pennswoods's Photo Album My Photos
How Bout We do.........

How about we do a turning contest here. Since I am new here, we could pick out a couple members to pick out shape, style, rules, and such... and maybe see if we can round up a couple judges to make the decession. I'll toss in $100.00 shopping spree in the store as first prize.
Just a thought, maybe get somethin stirring.
I included some of our stock that was finished tonight.
Thanks again all and happy easter.

Bill
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-06-2007, 08:42 AM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
Nice turnings Bill. Some of those look very delicate.

I don't know what to say about the contest. I don't have a lathe but that doesn't mean we can't have one. Lets see what some of the others say.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #3 of 7 Old 04-06-2007, 02:35 PM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
Bill
Nice turnings Bill . Good job. Welcome to the forum.

The contest sounds good but it is my opinion that it is a little overly ambitious at this time. It's sort of you need to learn how to crawl before you can walk thing. I don't think we have enough turners here to make something like that a success. What we need here is for more turners like yourself to post pictures of their work and to have some discussion on each others work. I been trying to ask guys to post pictures since I started. These guys on the forum are all good people but we don't have enough active turners here. So I think it is too early to be having judges and contest rules or shopping sprees, even if that is legal.

I think we should band together and try to get more active member turners to post pictures and members who don't turn to participate and have their say on the forum even if they don't turn.

There are probably many members on here who worked hard to make this forum the success it has been so far. I only recommend we join them and try to make this forum even more of a success.

Whatever happens I go along with the majority. Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-06-2007, 03:39 PM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Bill,

That's an excellent idea, but I'm kinda with Mitch on this one. We only got a handful of turners so far and by the looks of those hollow forms...you're gonna win anyway....

Right now I think we should focus on buildin' our ranks and go from there. When we get more folks, I'm all in, and seein' how I got tons of wood around I'd throw some curl and burl into the prize package...

Mitch...I'll try to get some more pics in my gallery.....

We will harvest no burl before it's time.....

Last edited by Burlkraft; 04-06-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Mad Cow Disease
post #5 of 7 Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Burlkraft
Good

man Burlkraft. I was hoping all along that you would come through and post pictures. You seem to be the cornerstone of this turning forum and know all the good people on here. We need to convince guys to come on here and participate. You don't need to be a pro turner to be considered good. I only just started turning since last November. Four months you can't be a pro but I feel good about my turnings. Maybe you can get Jill to participate? Women always bring another perspective to a discussion and things go smoother. That was just a suggestion now.

So folks if you like to turn or want to start and your intimidated by the big time forums where pros hang out, come on along and join us here on our forum here and OH! yeah, bring along a friend who would like to join us. Far as I know there are no dues or special rules on here, only thing it will cost you is a promise to post a picture when your ready. Someone will surely answer your post with a reply and words of encouragement.
Thanks Mitch
post #6 of 7 Old 04-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
okay okay. I will do my part and order a set of turning tools for my wife's lathe which I have not yet even put together. I hate to do it because I know i am going to get addicted to ti immediately and push the house back another month at least.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 PM

Texas your all heart buddy, you do that, order the tools for the wife's lathe and don't forget the grinder and jigs,( there goes house payment number 2). BTW what kind of lathe you putting together for her? Maybe we can get her to join us here on the turning forum? She can bring you along if she wants. wink
We are going to build us a turning forum here second to none. lol Mitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode